PDA

View Full Version : Rowmark Textures cleaning problem

Hannu Rinne
01-30-2016, 2:20 PM
At the moment I'm doing Rowmark Textures (yellow/black). Cutting leaves quite a lot black residue on the top of the sheet and it is hard to clean off. Is there any easy way to clean the sheet without harming the surface (paint thinner is not a good solution - tested :D).

Best regards,
Hannu

Gary Hair
01-30-2016, 3:19 PM
Make sure you engrave from bottom to top then clean with denatured alcohol - not sure if you have that in Finland but there will be something similar.

Hannu Rinne
01-30-2016, 4:54 PM
Thanks Gary,

I've done as you mentioned (engraving from bottom to top). Our denatured alcohol here is called "Sinol". I use it almost daily, but even it does not help in this case. Makes me thinking if there's something wrong with those sheets (those have been about six years in my stock). I'll try to seal them somehow before cutting and see if it helps. I haven't had this kind problem before with any other Texture colors...

-Hannu

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-30-2016, 6:53 PM
Mr Clean Magic Erasers work. Hopefully there is an equivalent product available for you.

Bill George
01-30-2016, 7:52 PM
Thanks Gary,

I've done as you mentioned (engraving from bottom to top). Our denatured alcohol here is called "Sinol". I use it almost daily, but even it does not help in this case. Makes me thinking if there's something wrong with those sheets (those have been about six years in my stock). I'll try to seal them somehow before cutting and see if it helps. I haven't had this kind problem before with any other Texture colors...

-Hannu

Are you using too much power? Can you try cutting without air assist and see if that helps?
This time of the year in Finland I would think you might have other plans for your alcohol :)

Robert Tepper
01-31-2016, 12:55 AM
I agree with Bill, it sounds like you are using too much power. I also use denatured alcohol for cleaning.

Just break the surface so it can be read, raster engraving deep is not always necessary.

What machine do you have and what are your power and speed settings?

Robert

Kev Williams
01-31-2016, 1:22 AM
Didn't know 'Textures' was laserable, but sure enough--

Not sure what paint thinner you used, but I've used mineral spirits, turpentine and naptha with good results, and they don't attack the plastic--
If you find any of these DO attack your yellow/black textures, then the problem likely lies in the yellow plastic...

Acetone, xylene, MEK and I believe toluene WILL attack plastics, and possibly 'plain' paint thinner...

Don't use 'goof-off', as it's predominately xylene...

Tony Lenkic
01-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Hannu,

Have you tried to apply transfer tape on the material. I would begin with high tack transfer tape.

BTW, what is the thickness 1.5 or 3mm?

Hannu Rinne
01-31-2016, 4:19 PM
Mike,

I tested Macig Eraser and it helped a bit. Still remains a bit of residue (and it is tight)...

Bill and Roger,

About the alcohol - I can't agree more :D:D for example teeth cleaning :D:D

I'm using my GCC Sprit 60W. Engraving settings (2x) 300 DPI/100 speed/100 power - makes the depht about 0,2mm. Vector cutting with 300 DPI/60 power/ 4% speed (about 2.6 IPS). And in this case I'm using 4" lens. I think in this case the air assist hasn't much effect because the distance is quite long (?)

Kev,

The paint thinner what I tried is a mix of ethyl acetate, ethanol, acetone - and it melts the surface of the sheet...

Tony,

The thickness is 1,5mm. Tranfer tape might be a good idea when cutting - I have to test, thanks for this!

I made a test with black/white and white/black (Textures) and those went well - cleaning with denatured alcohol, no residue on. So in the yellow sheet must be somehow ruined or just the yellow color is the reason...I really don't know :confused:

In any case - thanks to all !

-Hannu

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-31-2016, 5:27 PM
Have you tried experimenting with different speed/power settings? I don't know what difference the 4" lens makes when it comes to power, but my 45-watt Epilog cuts Textures at 17 speed and 35 power with a 2" lens and air assist on. A quick wipe with the magic eraser and yellow/black, white/blue, white/red all clean up easily. No need for transfer tape.

Dee Gallo
01-31-2016, 9:42 PM
Is it possible you got the Rowmark for rotary engraving and not laser engraving? Just guessing.

John Bion
02-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Frankly, I gave up doing Rowmark Textures on the laser and only do it on the router, I never came up with a clean enough finish, the CNC router was that much simpler in my case. Textures is a great product, but I do not think it ought to be marketed for lasers.
Kind regards, John

Uma Duffy
02-01-2016, 2:57 PM
we have done some of the yellow for FD lock out tags nasty stuff, Tony was right, we mask then cut and than engrave bottom up after with mask still on. Not like the other plastics just keep that in mind and you still have to clean the edge a little.