PDA

View Full Version : Front Vise - Does a direct fit replacement with quick release exist?

Joe Beaulieu
01-30-2016, 3:45 AM
Hi All,

I have been investigating, but I figured I would ask here if anyone had already done this. I want to change out the vise (or maybe just the hardware) on the front vise on my Diefenbach European bench. This vise is classified as a "hybrid" in the Wikipedia page on WW vise types. It's the wide vise at the left hand end of the bench, in the front, with a substantial face on the vise that mates to the front edge of the bench. It has a center screw and two somewhat off-set guide rods on either side of the center screw. The screw I believe is a 1" thick screw.

I would really like to upgrade this to a quick release high quality vise. I am looking for a direct replace that just drops in. In fact, that is my question - does one exist? Anyone know? I will take pics of the existing vise tomorrow.

Thanks in advance - this board is an incredible resource.

Joe

Brian Tymchak
01-30-2016, 8:14 AM
Doubt it. My guess is that you will have to make a full replacement. But I would start the search with the maker of the vise installed on the bench. If you provide the manufacturer, someone might be able to make a suggestion.

glenn bradley
01-30-2016, 9:39 AM
I agree that you can check if there is a QR replacement but, that is about the extent of the effort I would put into it. It depends on how important this is and your timeline; I have found some great stuff when I don't really need it right away and something just happens to come along. If you want to deal with this now, I think the likelihood of finding a direct replacement from another maker is slim. I would approach this differently but, that's me. Find the vise you want and then retrofit it to your bench; we're woodworkers ;-)

With the experiences I've had with QR hardware and vises I would have to percolate on this awhile. Currently the only innovative solution to the many issues with QR hardware seems to be Lee Valley's offering (http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=67755&cat=1,41659) which is not inexpensive. There are others that cost more but, I do not see a real advantage. Having said all that, my second or third bench is still giving good service to its new owner and it has a couple of Harbor Freight QR vises on it. I had to tear them apart and rebuild them to make them work decently but, at the time . . I had the time and they were on sale for about $20 each :D. They were actually better than many offerings by Rockler and Woodcraft but, my methods changed and I am a twin screw guy now . . . there is nothing quick about those but, its a trade off.

Joe Beaulieu
01-31-2016, 2:27 PM
Hey Glenn,

Ironically, your sit and ruminate advice has come to fruition, with the irony being the answer may have also come from your post. Didn't need to chew on that one much. The LV vise you so nicely linked to for me may be a direct fit. I would need to drill a hole for their cam shaft, that doesn't exist on my bench, but it appears that the alignment is the same on the other two guide rods and the main screw. I was prepared to spend some green on this, I want something that is going to last, so while the cost is significant, I don't mind. If it doesn't fit, I will wait for divine inspiration, as you suggest.

Thanks Glenn and Bryan, I appreciate the help very much!

Joe