PDA

View Full Version : Lost X-Axis drive

Terry Wade
01-29-2016, 5:58 PM
I lost the x-axis stepper motor again after installing it last August. I don't know why it went out again, but I need to find one quick if possible. I would like to find one here in the states if I can. When it went out the first time I ended up getting a replacement from China and that just took to long, so if anybody has any idea's where I can get one here it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Terry

Jerome Stanek
01-29-2016, 6:05 PM
Try automation technologies talk to John

Robert Schmiede
01-29-2016, 9:22 PM
Terry, just out of interest, what speed do you run at. Bob Schmiede.

Rich Harman
01-29-2016, 9:37 PM
Also, check your driver settings, could be running too much current...

I changed my X axis driver long ago, I don't remember if I increased or decreased the current but I made sure that the motor wasn't too hot to touch after being in use for a while.

Terry Wade
01-31-2016, 12:38 PM
I will check the driver settings, but one thing that has me baffled is why only the x-drive is having problems, the y-drive is the original and has no problems whatsoever. My wife asked a question I had not really thought of when she asked if the stepper motor could be repaired? Anybody know if that is a possibility?

Rich Harman
01-31-2016, 3:02 PM
Well if the driver setting is incorrect on just the X axis, then that is an answer. Another answer is that the X axis generally gets a lot more use. Another possibility is an intermittent short or open in the wiring that leads to the motor - it is in motion whenever the Y axis moves. I'll assume that checking the connections is one of the first troubleshooting steps you performed.

As for repairing - maybe. If it is something simple like a broken wire then you may be able to fix it. Just don't remove the rotor from the case - depending upon the type of motor you can lose the magnetism, and there is no way to restore it.

Mark Sipes
01-31-2016, 5:13 PM
When you get the problem solved... and have replaced the stepper motor.... take the old motor apart and if the motor has brushes, which I assume. you will most likely find they are truly worn out. Or maybe you did that with the first motor you replaced? I have replaced 4 x-drive stepper motors in my laser......worn brushed. I'm glad to see Trotec went to a brushless DC servomotor... at least from a maintenance aspect.

Rich Harman
01-31-2016, 5:43 PM
When you get the problem solved... and have replaced the stepper motor.... take the old motor apart and if the motor has brushes, which I assume. you will most likely find they are truly worn out. Or maybe you did that with the first motor you replaced? I have replaced 4 x-drive stepper motors in my laser......worn brushed. I'm glad to see Trotec went to a brushless DC servomotor... at least from a maintenance aspect.

Stepper motors don't have brushes. You probably had brushed servo motors.

Mark Sipes
02-01-2016, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation between the two...... All I know is that they run $750 each...... and my DC stepper motors on my Newing-Hall are work horses of course they don't travel 78 in per sec....

Mark

Terry Wade
02-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Another thought that I have been thinking about is that the original stepper motor is a Nema 23 size, shouldn't I be able to get another stepper motor in the Nema 23 size and then get a belt sprocket to match the original and be back up and running or am I missing something here? I can't think that this can be that complicated. What does everybody think?

Thanks,
Terry

Lee DeRaud
02-03-2016, 5:03 PM
Another thought that I have been thinking about is that the original stepper motor is a Nema 23 size, shouldn't I be able to get another stepper motor in the Nema 23 size and then get a belt sprocket to match the original and be back up and running or am I missing something here? I can't think that this can be that complicated. What does everybody think?

Thanks,
TerryShould be trivial to match the specs of the current stepper: NEMA23 steppers are commodity parts.
But why wouldn't you just use the sprocket off the old one? Highly unlikely there's anything more complicated than a set-screw holding it on...

Robert Schmiede
02-04-2016, 3:36 AM
Not easy to take off, you will need a very small bearing puller, the pulleys are easily damaged, they are pressed on, no screw.

Terry Wade
02-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Lee the sprocket on the original is pressed on, if I can get it off without damaging it I will reuse it, but what I am having trouble with is finding a steeper motor with the same shaft diameter as the original. So it looks like it will be easier to get a stepper motor and find the belt sprocket to fit the motor shaft.

Thanks,
Terry

Rich Harman
02-04-2016, 8:28 PM
My Shenhui has three phase steppers - only three wires. Those aren't real common. The drivers I have will not work with four wire steppers. So you need to be sure you are replacing with the right kind of Nema 23 stepper.

The pulleys on mine have set screws. I have used two open end wrenches to lever off pulleys with good success. You may want to heat it up a bit too.