PDA

View Full Version : Good finish for trivets

Jeffrey Cole
01-28-2016, 1:29 PM
Good morning to all. I am wondering what would be a durable finish for some trivets I am making for my new dinning table. I do not want a glossy look.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks for your time!!
Jeffrey

Bill White
01-28-2016, 2:00 PM
Watco Danish Oil. 3 coats. Easily maintained. Let it cure before using the trivets.
Bill

Jeffrey Cole
01-29-2016, 3:31 PM
thanks for the help Bill, I will give itatry.
Jeffrey

Art Mann
01-29-2016, 7:40 PM
How are you planning to use the trivets? Will you be placing a 350 or 400 degree casserole dish right out of the oven on it? I make and sell trivets and needed to know which finish will stand up to high heat. I performed several short and long term experiments to find out. Solvent based lacquer will not hold up. Water based varnish from a spray can won't hold up either. Minwax polyurethane spray varnish holds up better than anything else I have tried. I have a couple of trivets cut in maple and cherry that were finished with it. They have been in hard service for over a year now and they still look good. Watco Danish Oil has some kind of varnish in it but it is mixed with oil and other solvents. If the application is high temp you might want to experiment with a finished piece of wood and a 400 degree casserole dish. Mineral oil like what is used on chopping blocks also holds up well but the appearance is not much better than plain wood.