PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 15" planer Knife Adjustment

Jim Gunter
01-27-2016, 9:45 PM
I picked up an older G1021Z Grizzly Planer - 15". Works great! Had the knives sharpened but I don't have a setting jig for the knives. The head has the spring design. I was looking for one from Grizzly but their web site does not recognize the "Knife Gauge" part number from the owners manual.
I looked on line for a setting gauge and found generic magnetic types but how to know what the depth they should be set to.
Guess I'd like to get the original design gauge if anyone knows how to get one.
If not how to set the knives where they should go.

Mark W Pugh
01-27-2016, 9:55 PM
I picked up an older G1021Z Grizzly Planer - 15". Works great! Had the knives sharpened but I don't have a setting jig for the knives. The head has the spring design. I was looking for one from Grizzly but their web site does not recognize the "Knife Gauge" part number from the owners manual.
I looked on line for a setting gauge and found generic magnetic types but how to know what the depth they should be set to.
Guess I'd like to get the original design gauge if anyone knows how to get one.
If not how to set the knives where they should go.

Try calling them.

John Aperahama
01-28-2016, 12:04 AM
It shows as being in stock part # P1021166 $13.25 (complete assy)

Jim Gunter
01-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Thank you! My bad. I was searching for the part number on the main home page.
Once I opened the "Part Store" window the search was easy.

Scott Dorrer
01-28-2016, 1:17 PM
That oem knife jig is junk.. don't bother.. Get a set of magnetic jigs.

David Masters
01-28-2016, 6:59 PM
When I bought one of these used, it was missing the knife gauge, and instead I was given something called a Planer Pal. I found on my first knife change that the jig wouldn't work with the Grizzly due to clearances available around the knife. I called Grizzly and they sold me the jig that shipped with the G1021Z. I don't remember the price, but it is a simple jig and didn't cost much.

Dave

Mel Fulks
01-28-2016, 7:22 PM
David makes a good point about Planer Pal; too big for some machines. Where they will work ,I like them.

Mike Chalmers
01-28-2016, 7:23 PM
I have a 20" model. I tried using magnetic jigs with micro adjustment. I found them to be quite difficult to use as placement on the head had to be exactly the same, and the jigs were not that precise. I went back to the standard jig that came with it, and found with attention to placement and process, I could get the blades within a couple of thousandths. Then I got the best jig available, its called a spiral cutterhead.