PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy factory seat upholstery?

Scott Shepherd
01-27-2016, 2:10 PM
Anyone know a source for buying factory upholstery for seats for vehicles? For instance, if I want to replace the material where a previous owner burned a hole in the seat, where would I get (online) the factory fabric? I've looked over the years and have never found anywhere. When you search for "factory seat covers", you get every aftermarket seat cover available.

I'm trying to avoid the dealers and hoping to find an online source.

I currently have the need for a number of fixes for Ford trucks.

In the past, we've taken them to upholstery shops but haven't had great luck with them.

Lee Schierer
01-27-2016, 2:27 PM
Try the local auto salvage places and see if they have the same model vehicle that has a good seat.

Tom M King
01-27-2016, 3:38 PM
There are some good companies that make replacement covers that you can't tell from OEM. I wore out the lower seats in my 01 Chevy truck, and ordered some new foam, and leather covers. I think they were about 200 for each seat. They come with good instructions, and are well planned to be able to install.

Brian Henderson
01-27-2016, 3:38 PM
Depends on the age of the truck. Once Ford stops manufacturing replacement parts and once the parts warehouses run out, you're stuck with aftermarket only. Ford isn't going to go back and remanufacture parts for a vehicle they stopped making 10 years ago.

Scott Shepherd
01-27-2016, 3:43 PM
Depends on the age of the truck. Once Ford stops manufacturing replacement parts and once the parts warehouses run out, you're stuck with aftermarket only. Ford isn't going to go back and remanufacture parts for a vehicle they stopped making 10 years ago.

That's part of my issue, I think. I can't figure out how to do a proper google search for them because "factory seat covers" brings up every aftermarket seat cover on the planet. I'm hoping someone will have a source for factory products.

John Lanciani
01-27-2016, 3:46 PM
Start by using the term "OEM" (original equipment manufacturer) instead of "Factory". I think you'll have better luck.

Scott Shepherd
01-27-2016, 4:03 PM
Start by using the term "OEM" (original equipment manufacturer) instead of "Factory". I think you'll have better luck.

That didn't yield any different results than before. Just every aftermarket slip on seat cover ever offered shows up. I'm just trying to match the factory seat cover on 1 bucket seat. The drivers side.

Chris Padilla
01-27-2016, 4:24 PM
http://www.oemcarandtruckseats.com/

Found this using: oem replacement truck seat

Scott Shepherd
01-27-2016, 5:57 PM
Thanks Chris, but those are entire seats. A set was $1,100. I just need a leather OEM cover for one drivers seat. The rest of the seats are in perfect shape.

You guys are finding the same things I did, that finding the factory replacements are really hard to find. I was hoping someone had found a great site that hoarded them, maybe bought tractor trailer loads of new, old stock.

Tom M King
01-27-2016, 6:19 PM
Why does it have to be a factory one? The replacement lower covers I bought match the still in place seat backs perfectly. They even reinforced the place that wears out from getting in and out of the truck. They aren't slip over covers. You take the old cover off, and put on the new one even attached the same way the stock ones did. There are a bunch of youtube videos by a number of the manufacturers showing how to install. The foam in my drivers seat was also worn out, so I took that out and replaced it too. The same company that I bought the new covers from also sold foam that had been improved. I have been very much impressed with them. It's been several years since I replaced them, and I don't remember the company name. I've been driving this truck for 15-1/2 years, and the only thing I've worn out is the lower front seat covers.

http://www.theseatshop.com/ After looking at the video on their site, I'm pretty sure this is where mine came from. Fill out the form for the year, make, and model, select configure and price, and a video will probably come up for the specific one you're looking for. They also have install videos that can be over a half hour long. I've been most impressed with this company. They can reference the VIN number, and guarantee a color match.

I'm convinced the quality of the cover and foam is better than OEM.

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-27-2016, 6:22 PM
Try "OEM Ford fabric" or "OEM upholstery fabric"

Scott Shepherd
01-27-2016, 6:38 PM
Tom, I'm trying to keep the factory one because it's an SUV, all leather interior, and it's the bottom panel on one seat that needs replacing. It's an Eddie Bauer edition with airbags in the seats as well. I'd like for it to match the existing interior and not have to buy and recover every seat in the SUV when it's only one panel I need. I don't mind buying the upper and lower for the one seat, but I do want it to match, I do like the existing seats.

In today's world, if I want any part for the SUV, I can get it from a number of sources. I can buy brand new, old stock parts all day long. The older it gets, it seems the cheaper the parts get. Then comes seats and I can't find a single place that sells the OEM stuff.

Last company truck we had, had a hole in a seat, we paid an upholstery guy that had a "great reputation" and I honestly think I could have done a better job with it.

Tom M King
01-27-2016, 6:43 PM
Reread my last post in this thread. I was editing it after checking out their website to make sure that's where mine came from while you were typing your last post.

edited this one to add: I remembered they wanted pictures of my original seats, because they said there were more than one stitching pattern that year, and matched that too.

I don't think you can do any better.

Scott Shepherd
01-27-2016, 6:58 PM
Thanks Tom and Mike. Mike's info sent me searching in a direction that landed me on some factory ford parts sites that had them ($350 for the lower, OUCH), and Tom's link was less painful ($200), but it looks like they really have their act together. Just their online tool for entering the vehicle had options that I hadn't seen any other sites have, and their stuff looks first class.

Thanks guys!

Rick Potter
01-28-2016, 1:23 AM
I have only used one auto upholstery shop around here, but they had no trouble matching the leather seat bottom on my brothers '82 Corvette. They had quite a selection of fabrics and leathers.

roger wiegand
01-28-2016, 8:59 AM
LeBaron Bonney offers exact replacement materials for many older vehicles. You might give them a call, they are very helpful.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/bench-seats.htm