PDA

View Full Version : Non-Sticky/Gummy Lubricants?

Russell Neyman
01-27-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm struggling to find a lubricant for my spring-side Reeves Drive pulley that doesn't become gooey after a few months. I've tried grease and 3-In-1 oil, but have not had good results. Suggestions?

Doug Ladendorf
01-27-2016, 3:35 PM
I used DriSlide on my Delta and it worked like a charm. It's a dry moly/graphite combo you spray on. Once it dries you are good to go.

Doug

Russell Neyman
01-28-2016, 11:51 AM
My co-Turner, Troy Kellington, came up with this from Home Depot.

Marty Tippin
01-28-2016, 12:03 PM
I use this stuff, works fine but you'll need to clean the surfaces of existing petroleum-based lube first http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-5-5-oz-B-laster-Graphite-Dry-Lube-8-GS/202597501

Scott Underwood
01-28-2016, 12:34 PM
The grease that I use on almost everything is Shooter's Choice High Tech Gun Grease. It can handle any temperature swings you can throw at it, and it stays where you put it. I use it on my guns, fly fishing reels, and a lot of my tools. I've never had it break down or gum up. It will not deteriorate rubber seals and o-rings like a petroleum grease will either. Bonus points for coming in a handy-dandy syringe.

Dave Arnett
01-28-2016, 1:30 PM
Another B'laster user here.

Bill Boehme
01-28-2016, 2:23 PM
I use Dow-Corning 111 Valve Lubticant and Sealer. It is a heavy bodied dimethyl silicone grease.

Russell Neyman
03-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Still struggling to find something that doesn't get gummy after being exposed to the fine microdust over time. The WD40 stuff I mentioned earlier began clogging up my Jet's lower pulley after a few weeks, so I guess that's not the solution. One
of the issues is it's a pain to get at that area of the Reeves drive; you have to pull off that shroud to
get at it. I'm tempted to drill a small hole just above the moving side of the lower pulley so I can easily add oil.

I've also considered replacing the machine screws with thumbscrews so i have easier access.

Ed Wood
03-06-2016, 3:43 PM
I have not tried this but it was recommended to keep my old table saw clean but it sounds like it may also work in this application they also sell a liquid version they say is for bicycles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001447PEK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tom Borener
03-06-2016, 5:51 PM
I use dri-slide as well - molybdenum and graphite. Once the carrier evaporates in a few minutes, nothing to gum up. I use it on all of my chucks.