PDA

View Full Version : buffing wheels

mike johnston
01-27-2016, 8:42 AM
I have a Beal buffing system, but the wheels are not quite big enough to reach the bottom of some of the larger bowls. I had a longer arbor made, now I'm looking for larger wheels. I have no trouble finding larger wheels, but I'm not sure if they have the same texture or consistence as the ones on my Beal system. If anyone knows of a source for 10 inch wheels to match the texture of the Beal wheels please advise.

thanks Mike

Russell Neyman
01-27-2016, 9:24 AM
I guess what you're saying is that the wheel is too close to your headstock,,,? Beall does, in fact, make an 8-inch extension that will thread directly onto most lathe spindles.

Shawn Pachlhofer
01-27-2016, 9:48 AM
googlefoo: Caswell Plating

Wes Ramsey
01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
I think what he is saying is that some bowls are so large the 8" wheel won't reach the full inside depth of it without the rim hitting the arbor. I've run into that and tried the 4" Beal Balls, but I'm not a big fan of them just yet. I think they get the job done, I just haven't used them enough to have much to say about them one way or the other.

Thom Sturgill
01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Like Shawn said - Caswell Plating is a good source.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-27-2016, 3:27 PM
I also think you need a bowl buff, but as Wes said, it's not as effective as the wheels. I have a 2 speed buffer, running the buff balls fast makes it a bit better, but, not as great. Better than nothing though. I don't think 10" wheels will help. My buffer is 10". Well, it will help a bit, but not a lot. Depends on how deep the bowls are.

Thomas Canfield
01-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Don Pencil had a 12" long 1-1/2" thread adapter that no longer seems to be available. It makes it a lot easier to get into larger bowls. I have also used it with the 2" long extension that I bought when purchasing my 3520B to get even a little more reach. My largest wheels are 8" that came with Beale and also from Don Pencil. H have made smaller wheels (4 and 6") using 3/8" elevator bolts (large flat head) to work inside smaller bowls in addition to the buff and goblet buffs.

Someone needs to make the 12" adapters available again.

Michael Schneider
01-27-2016, 11:07 PM
Sorry for the stupid question. I have a 12 baldor buffer that I picked up at an estate sale.

I went to caswell plating and looked at their buffing wheels.

There was a very large variety of wheels.

Exactly what type of wheel from caswell do you folks use?

Thanks
Michael