PDA

View Full Version : Number 4 of 4 Mystery burl

Brian Brown
01-26-2016, 11:26 PM
I bought this burl at an estate sale, and the species was unmarked. I thought it was Amboyna, and while it still might be, but it seemed a bit soft. I never met an Australian burl that wasn't hard as a rock. I also thought it might be redwood, but it didn't smell like it, and was way too hard for redwood. Now I have no idea. It turned easily and polished well. The pedestal is ebonized maple. It is about 8.5 inches dia. by 5 inches high. Lacquer finish. Let me know what you think, and feel free to critique. Also, can anyone clue me in on possible species?

Brice Rogers
01-26-2016, 11:37 PM
Beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing.

Sid Matheny
01-26-2016, 11:40 PM
Well I sure don't see anything not to like. Very well done in my book!

Bill Boehme
01-27-2016, 12:56 AM
Both pieces are well executed with good curves and crisp detail. I like tre beautiful burl whatever it might be. I've turned red mallee and while it was hard, it wasn't any harder than mesquite IMO. The wood in the picture seems to resemble red mallee.

THe only thing that I can't reconcile in my head is that the two pieces don't seem to flow together -- but, I can't really say what I think the pedestal shouldn't look like. I think that my problem is when I view the bottom profile, there isn't an overall flow through the pedestal and into the top that can work so perhaps a small base instead. Maybe if the curve of the rim were continued all the way through to make the piece taller, that might scratch my itch. But otherwise, your creative skill is evident and my thoughts are just that and nothing more.

Mark Greenbaum
01-27-2016, 7:30 AM
Whatever the wood is - I like it a lot. Very Dali-esque.

Roger Chandler
01-27-2016, 7:42 AM
That is a beautiful piece, Brian! Nicely done! The only thing I see that would improve it is making the pedestal a little slimed down. I like the size of the base at the very bottom. If it were me, I would slim the onion some with a little more taken off the curve up to the point where it should begin to flare out near the top.

I know that on a functional piece like this, one wants strength in the pedestal, but I think you have enough wood left where you could refine and slim down the pedestal, and maintain its structural integrity. Excellent work!