PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Rewire

Jerry Moore
09-10-2005, 3:05 AM
Hello all,

<O:p</O:pI just setup my General 50-185 and ran it up for the first time. My whole shop dimmed along with two other rooms. I am now having an electrician come in and give me an estimate on a rewire and adding 240 to my shop. So now I am looking at converting my saw to 240 and replacing the switch with a Magnetic safety switch. The motor plate shows an amp draw of 7.5 on 240. I was looking at the Grizzly safety switch or the Canwood Magnetic Safety Switch. The Grizzly is rated at 8.5 to 12 amps for the 2hp or 5-8 amps for the 1.5hp switch. The Canwood is rated at 7-11 amps or 5-8 amps. Which one should I use? I am waiting on a response from WoodSmith Store to see if they carry the switches from General.

<O:p</O:pSecond, I looked at the wiring diagram on the cover plate for the motor and I see that I only have two hots and a green ground that has been attached to the motor housing. I was under the impression that for 240 you should have 2 hots a neutral and a ground. When I replace the plug how do I rewire the plug? And finally which plug do I use? What plug/receptacle do I tell the electrician to use? General did not identify this in their manual.

Thank you,

Jerry

Russ Massery
09-10-2005, 5:15 AM
Jerry, first of all there is no neutral in 220-240. Just two hots & one ground. That are two 110 legs from the panel, which are out of phase from each other. As far as plug goes there are couple of choices the I like the twist locking type but there is the regular blade type also. 220 receptecle and plug have one blade turned so the it can't be pluged into a 110.Your electrican should advise you which to use. I converted my old craftsman to 220 I bought my magnetic switch for grizzly. Hope it helps.

Russ

Larry Reimer
09-10-2005, 8:20 AM
Jerry, try the website: selfhelpandmore . Go to the home wiring section. They do a fairly decent job of explaining how to install.

scott spencer
09-10-2005, 8:37 AM
Hi Jerry - I can't advise on what switch to choose....never changed mine, but I did convert the same saw to 220v. Once you have a 220v outlet it's really simple. Just follow the wiring diagram on the junction plate, then change the plug to match the outlet. I used the original cord and the original switch.

Roger Everett
09-10-2005, 8:49 AM
Jerry:
Don't forget it's not just the switch and plug you need to replace. You need to remove the wiring cover on the motor and reconfigure the wiring under the cap. When I changed my Delta over, there's a wiring diagram on inside of cap, on how to wire-up for 110 and 220. the whole thing took about a 1/2 hour.
Roger

Mike Cutler
09-10-2005, 9:17 AM
Jerry. If I haven't said welcome to Sawmill Creek, Welcome.
There was a thread recently that had a problem similar to yours, here is the link
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23695

Additionally there is a thread about the need to change machines over to 220. Here is the link
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23965

There is alot of good info in these posts. Additionally here is a link to Rick Christopherson's website. Click on the Electricity in the Woodshop tab. Excellent info on this page. It's also presented in an easy to understand write-up.
http://home.att.net/~waterfront-woods/