PDA

View Full Version : quick question on new lathe

Richard Demler
01-26-2016, 9:26 PM
I've been looking at a few different lathes the last couple weeks.I want one forever that will do whatever I decide to do years down the line.Is there any reason to believe a grizzly G0766 22X42 would be the wrong choice?? Thank you for your time..

John Keeton
01-26-2016, 9:41 PM
Richard, your standard of "that will do whatever I decide to do" is extremely vague and subjective. I predict you will get a group of folks that love the Griz, and a group that support buying a Cadillac lathe such as an American Beauty or a Oneway. Both will have merit.

The same question couched in definitive terms, such as "I want a lathe that will do A, B and C" might, and I did say might, provide somewhat different responses.

Steve Doerr
01-26-2016, 9:51 PM
Richard, I think that will depend on who you talk to. My first lathe was a Grizzly G0462 and that was 8 years ago. Kept it for about a year or two and then got a Jet 1642 and now have a Robust American Beauty. I know Grizzly has come a long way with their lathes in the past eight years but IMHO their quality doesn't match some of the other machines that are out there. However, you are not spending the same dollars either. So, I would suggest that you spend a little time and get some hands on touch and feel on a variety of lathes before you make your final decision for your "forever" lathe. The other thing you need to think about is the total dollars you have to spend. It will make a big difference in what you end up with.

Good luck,
Steve

Mark Greenbaum
01-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Richard: I'll pipe in for the Grizzly Camp - I have a new G0766, and love it. I have turned on Jet 1642's, PM-3520B's, and for the amount of cash I've spent I got what I believe is a very strong contender. I have turned some medium sized bowls, small ornaments, and tonight my first lampshade. I have not reached the capacity of this lathe, but I expect I will soon. You have to weigh into the decision how much you're willing to spend, what you want to turn, and whether or not you already have accessories and tools to add to that equation. Where are you located, and let the SMC members know, and I am sure someone is nearby to let you have a guest pass to try out equipment before purchasing. Good luck making your selection.

Richard Demler
01-26-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm looking at weedpots now with the craftsman I have started doing some bowls and want to do more utility bowls,not so much art,but that's not out of the question..I turn cane shafts.I want to be able to participate in craft shows in the area.Just invested in a HTC 100 chuck and like it..1700.00 is close to griz price and that's as high as I'd care to go $$$ wise..

Brice Rogers
01-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Richard, I don't think that there is a precise and single answer to your question. There are a lot of options. The Grizzly G0766 offers a lot of functionality for the price. The quality is reasonable/consistent with the price point. If you have the money to spend double, then go for the One-way. If you have triple the money, then buy a Robust. They are both great lathes. But dollar for dollar, you'll get a lot of value out of the G0766. I spent 3 or 4 years on a 9" Craftsman lathe and produced a lot of nice bowls and weed pots and learned a lot. So, upgrading to a G0766 is likely going to be a rewarding experience.

Bill Boehme
01-27-2016, 12:10 AM
The best person to ask is the OP (that's you). And, I don't know anybody who started out on their final lathe other than those who tried turning for a while and then lost interest. Right now, you don't know enough to know what you need so don't get what somebody else thinks that you need because they are only telling you what they either want or already have.

Get a lathe that will serve your present needs and what you might do in the near future. You can go a very long way with an average lathe. In a few years, if you need to upgrade you will know what you really want or need. Over time, you will learn about a lot of different lathes and what people like or don't like about each of them. Then you will be able to make a decision that custom fits what you want.

Reed Gray
01-27-2016, 12:49 AM
A mini lathe will do all of the small projects. If you are thinking bowls, then a 16 inch lathe will cover most of what you will want to do. 220 volt if possible, 1 1/2 hp to 2 hp, variable speed, and 2 speed ranges are essentials to me. You can turn pens on a lathe that size, but it is over kill. I have never owned any Grizzly products. When I started buying tools, their quality was not good for the hobby level tools. I do believe they have done a lot to improve that image, but don't know.

robo hippy

Michael Schneider
01-27-2016, 6:44 AM
I am going through a similar process. I have a Oneway 1018 that I like for small things, and will likely keep. I also have a general 160 that I like, but 12" is a little small.

If you don't mind a little work, you might look at the vicmark 300 bare lathe. It runs about $2500 at Craft Supplies or Woodworkers Emporium (both good places). Ac Tech is a USA made VFD that goes about $275 used, or $450 new. I bought a 3hp 3 phase new old stock inverter ready, high effeciency leeson motor for $150 (pre tax inventory is a good time to look- $450 new off the shelf, I like baldor, but the leeson is a good motor).

newark electronics: honeywell RV4 military grade 10K pot for speed control($10) (similar to allan bradly pot that they don't make anymore) , and ohmite knob for Pot( get a good knob for speed control, you use it all the time. Cheap China knobs give no pleasure... pick your style www.ohmite.com/cat/hardware_knobs.pdf (http://www.ohmite.com/cat/hardware_knobs.pdf))

newark parts

Line No: 1
Stock No:
Manufacturer Part No:
UOM:
Quantity:
Price:
Extended Price:

01F2644
RV4NAYSD103A
Each 1
$8.64
$17.28

Customer Part Number:

Description: CONDUCTIVE PLASTIC POTENTIOMETER, 10KOHM,10%, 2W; Product Range:RV4 Series; Track Resistance:10kohm; Track Taper:Linear; No. of Turns:1; Power Rating:2W; Potentiometer Mounting:Panel; Shaft Diameter:6.35mm; Shaft Length:22.23mm

Line No: 2
Stock No:
Manufacturer Part No:
UOM:
Quantity:
Price:
Extended Price:

70B6704
Each 1
$7.92
$15.84

Customer Part Number:

Description: POINTER BAR KNOB, 6.35MM; Knob / Dial Style:Pointer Bar; Shaft Diameter:6.35mm; Knob Diameter:-; Shaft Type:Round; Knob Material:-; Shaft Size:1/4 in

ebay pendant (start stop switches) - $50
extra stop button (wired with box) - $25

I have been gathering the pieces over the last couple of months. I have some shop work to do, and then will likely pull the trigger on the bare lathe this summer or fall.

I really like the Ac Tech SMVector Line VFD's, made in USA with good components. Their base unit is Nema 1, and upper is Nema 4. I like the nema 4 because you can even wash it down. Wolf automation is a good supplier for Ac Tech if you buy new.

VFD Lathe setup is pretty easy to setup.

For a bit of sweat equity, you get a nice setup.

I fully understand if you would rather spend your time turning than building a machine to turn on.

I like to understand my tools, and building them helps me get the most of them. That is very personal choice, and there is no right or wrong answer.

Roger Chandler
01-27-2016, 7:30 AM
I have the G0766 and it performs wonderfully. I have put some heavy pieces of wood on my unit, and it does a good job. I have turned on 9 different 3520b unis, several Jet 1642's and some midi lathes, as well as one Robust American Beauty. I truly believe I have a valid basis for comparison of performance and features.

My G0766 performs as well as any 3520b PM that I have turned on. Both the two clubs I am a member of have a 3520b, and one also a Jet 1642 EVS. The G0766 will do anything the 3520b will do, except right now, there is not a bed extension available from Grizzly for it, but that may come in the future. Unless you really want to make huge bowls, over 22 inches, then the G0766 will do just fine for any and all turnings from pens to very large bowls.

I have several friends who own the 3520b, and one of them, a very experienced turner visited my shop and was impressed with my G0766. The G0766 is likely the best value for a large full featured lathe on the market today.

Doug Ladendorf
01-27-2016, 8:42 AM
Bill said what I was thinking but much more eloquently. If you have started turning and like it enough to upgrade it very well may not be your "last lathe." Thinking of it in those terms could lead to disappointment and later fumbling explanations to your wife (DAMHIK).

Also look at the used market. There are some real bargains.
Doug

The best person to ask is the OP (that's you). And, I don't know anybody who started out on their final lathe other than those who tried turning for a while and then lost interest. Right now, you don't know enough to know what you need so don't get what somebody else thinks that you need because they are only telling you what they either want or already have. Get a lathe that will serve your present needs and what you might do in the near future. You can go a very long way with an average lathe. In a few years, if you need to upgrade you will know what you really want or need. Over time, you will learn about a lot of different lathes and what people like or don't like about each of them. Then you will be able to make a decision that custom fits what you want.

carl mesaros
01-27-2016, 9:24 AM
Hi Richard. I am on my third lathe. It is really hard to recommend a lathe that will be the last one you will buy. It will depend on how much turning you get into and what projects you gravitate toward. After retiring I set up my woodworking shop and two years later bought a small midi lathe. I found a whole new world was opened up for me. A year later I bought a Jet 1642, thinking it would be my "last" lathe. Wrong! I Wanted a Cadillac, such as a Robust or Oneway, but 7to8K was hard to justify.
I discovered the new Laguna Revo line and with the exception of the lacking the fit and finish of Robust or Oneway it was perfect. I bought the 2436,800 +lbs. of mast 3hp,bed extension, and a great swing away for under 4K. Ive turned on this lathe 5-6 hours a day 6 days a week for almost a year now and so far the itch for that Cadillac hasn't started.
Your original question about the Grizzly being your last lathe? I think it could be, but time will tell.

Richard Demler
01-27-2016, 9:58 AM
I thank everyone one that replied.I'm 58 in 2 weeks and want something to last through retirement,if I get that far..I have thought about going with used,but have been screwed several times doing that.I prefer the warranty of new equip..Locally,within 100 miles.I can get a Nova 1624-44 for 1000.00 or a Jet JWL 1440 VSK for 1599.00 minus 5% discount..I just really don't want to get something that will be needing repairs constantly..I'm a little leary of electronics which I see in most new equipment these days..I miss the old days of a motor and an on/off switch..I'll keep my eye on the replies and hopefully I will make the right decision..Thank you all again..

Brice Rogers
01-27-2016, 4:43 PM
Good luck Richard.

BTW, the first time you turn a 20 pound (or more) chunk of wood that isn't balanced, and flip your "on/off switch" you'll lose your nostalgia for "the old days". Being able to slowly spin up an out-of-balance piece much better (but less exciting) than hitting the switch and instantly be spinning at 800--900 rpms. :)

Rob McCarty
01-27-2016, 4:47 PM
I too am about your age and was looking for a lathe capable of doing anything I would want to venture into. I read a lot of opinions on this forum and decided to get the G0766. I replaced the banjo like Roger did with his and couldn't be happier. On a side note I would like to thank Roger Chandler for all of his work and research on this lathe.

Roger Chandler
01-27-2016, 4:51 PM
I too am about your age and was looking for a lathe capable of doing anything I would want to venture into. I read a lot of opinions on this forum and decided to get the G0766. I replaced the banjo like Roger did with his and couldn't be happier. On a side note I would like to thank Roger Chandler for all of his work and research on this lathe.Thanks Rob.....I appreciate your comment! :)

Richard Demler
01-27-2016, 4:53 PM
Thank you Brice,I understand..I guess it'll be the g0766 when they get another in stock..Thanks again everyone.

Mark Greenbaum
01-27-2016, 5:59 PM
I also appreciate the work that Roger has done to help up get the facts on the G0766. His belief that this was a good product, even before anyone had touched the lathe, showed a confidence in the brand that few people had expressed. When he recieved his lathe, he noted the shortcomings, and made us all aware of what needed to be done to correct the design errors.

I notified CSR: Attention Papa Grizzly prior to receiving mine that I wished to have the Banjo corrected, the crate opened and checked for secure anchoring of the pieces, and told CSR that as my first real lathe, I was excited to get such a great product at such a great price. Papa Grizzly's reply on this forum confirmed his seriousness to deliver the finest products at a reasonable price. Thanks, Roger & Mr Baliolia. I have since received and enjoyed the lathe, got the replacement banjo, and the support washer. Great Customer Service, and great follow-through. I've also purchased the 5.5" diameter Chuck set and adapter, and it works very well.

Richard Demler
01-27-2016, 6:07 PM
Hello Roger,Is the problem with the banjo on the new G0766 somethig that is already being fixed on all the new lathes being shipped or is it something that has to be requested with each order?

Bill Boehme
01-27-2016, 6:09 PM
....I'm a little leary of electronics which I see in most new equipment these days..I miss the old days of a motor and an on/off switch....

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
and, furthermore, it never 'twas"

Unknown

There's no reason to think of lathe electronics as something to be concerned about. Whether your concern is operational or reliability, modern variable frequency drives are highly reliable and easy to use. From the operator's perspective, nothing could be easier: START/STOP switch, FWD/REV switch, speed control knob, and a power ON/OFF switch on most lathes. I think that you will find not having to fiddle with belts/pulleys and continuously variable speed control are quite addictive, not to mention the ability to reverse rotation direction at the flip of a switch.

The lower cost variable voltage controllers used with DC motors on mini and midi lathes aren't quite as robust, but they still seem to be very reliable based on forum comments.

Electronics are the future and the future is now.

Richard Demler
01-27-2016, 6:46 PM
I guess I'll have to jump into the modern stuff..Change scares me..LOL

Roger Chandler
01-27-2016, 7:15 PM
Hello Roger,Is the problem with the banjo on the new G0766 somethig that is already being fixed on all the new lathes being shipped or is it something that has to be requested with each order?As far as I know Richard, the new units are all being shipped with the updated parts. Tech services has made the updates with the factory, and they have now updated the manufacture of those two items with the new design and they ship as the complete unit.