PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to ask if there is anyone in my area to help me with some trees?

john snowdon
01-26-2016, 9:04 PM
I had 2 wild cherry trees taken down this past fall and stacked as log lengths. I thought I would cut rounds off of them for bowls but now I'm thinking I would like some lumber from it as well. I know I can ask around for names but I would prefer to see if there is anyone here on SMC who is local and would be interested. Is it cool to ask that here or is it frowned upon? I do not wish to cause any problems...

Thanks,

John

Cody Colston
01-26-2016, 11:26 PM
I don't know why it would be bad form to ask for help milling those Cherry logs. I just got my sawmill back running today and if I was in your area, I would certainly mill your logs for you. It's fun and a good way to get to know fellow Creekers. Hope you get some positive replies.

Lawrence Schultz
01-27-2016, 4:01 PM
Where are you located?

Chris Padilla
01-27-2016, 5:40 PM
We have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to folks asking for help. If you are paying someone, that is an ad and that is frowned upon. Those belong in the Classified Forum. Obviously if you are selling something, that also belongs in the Classified Forum.

This kinda sounds like it belongs in the Classified Forum, John, but it isn't really clear to me so I'll just leave it be. :)

john snowdon
01-27-2016, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Chris. I wasn't sure where the line is.

Jim Andrew
01-27-2016, 9:30 PM
John, you might put a post on forestryforum.com, there are many saw mill guys there.

Al Weber
01-28-2016, 8:45 AM
There used to be a list of sawmills posted on the Cheshire county Foresters website. I left SW NH several years ago and used the source to find a bandsaw mill operator in Petersboro. I don't know if he is still around and don't remember his name.

john snowdon
01-28-2016, 5:06 PM
Thanks, Jim and Al. I'll do so. I appreciate the help!

Cheers,

JOhn

Scott T Smith
01-28-2016, 10:56 PM
The Woodmizer website also maintains information about sawyers across the US (that use Woodmizer mills). Check that site out as well.

Al Weber
01-29-2016, 8:37 AM
As an added thought, some of the local commercial foresters have connections to sawyers and mills. You might call one of them and ask.

john snowdon
01-30-2016, 1:50 PM
Good ideas! I'm lucky enough to have a seat on the board of our county conservation commission. One of the other board members is a forester so I'll ask him for suggestions. My original thought was to give some work to a Creeker but now understand that could make this into a very commercial site. Better as is!

Thanks for everyone's help!

John