PDA

View Full Version : MFSlab tracksaw bench? Lots of questions.

James W Glenn
01-26-2016, 5:22 PM
I need to get some sort of track saw bench set up, but do not want to start another "project".
I found CAD plans offered for a MFSlab, which seems like it provides most the same basic functionality of a Festool MFT.
Has any one had one of theses CNC'd? Or built something similar?

http://www.multifunctionslab.com/the-features.html

Is there any thing I should consider changing before having it cut, or anything additional instructions to send with the CAD file?

I am planning on using this with some combination of Parf and Qwas dogs. I have read that a 1" top is to thick for Festool clamps.
Is there an alternative clamp that will work without having to counter boring the bottom of the holes?

I would like to have a track of some sort attached along the long side opposite the handles. This way I can have a movable dog hole to cut repeatable miters.
A track mounted on the underside might work if I can get it fastened well enough.

Bob Vavricka
01-30-2016, 7:59 PM
James, I was hoping you would get some replies to your thread. I can't answer you question, but looking at the item I thought it might be useful. I wonder is 3/4" thick MDO would work? It would be lighter and thinner.

John Schweikert
01-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Festool owners group forum has loads of info with active discussions on the slab and other options.

Jim Dwight
01-31-2016, 8:08 AM
I agree you will get more input from the FOG. I'm a member there even though I have almost no Festools. I built a Paulk style workbench instead but many like their slabs. There is also an interesting rolling/foldup MFT clone that looks very interesting if you need to move your workbench around. Lots of alternatives.

lowell holmes
01-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Inquiring mind wants to know,

Do track saws come with a new vocabulary? :)

James W Glenn
01-31-2016, 8:16 PM
I posted over at FOG, but no bites yet. There sure are a lot of acronyms and jargon to keep straight. I got a quote for $178 for the slab cut and delivered. It seems like a good "starter bench" to build off of, and I can use it as a router template to build a more permanant 20mm PBB (peg board bench).