PDA

View Full Version : New tool advice

Jason Solodow
09-10-2005, 1:19 AM
Okay, LOML said I can spend some money on tools..Up to about $400.. :D Anyway, I'm torn! I can get a Dewalt 13" planer reconditioned for about $360 I don't have a planer right now, or some new turning tools. Like a Hamlet ASP2060 1/2" Bowl Gouge, a Oneway Mastercut 1/2" double ended bowl gouge, and a 1/2" and 3/4" Raffan radiused skews. Or maybe a biscuit joiner? A plunge router? I only have a fixed base router.. What would you suggest??

Vaughn McMillan
09-10-2005, 3:44 AM
It's always fun to have a little bankroll for tools, huh? Jason, I think a lot of the decision would depend on what you have in mind for future projects. Does a planer really fill much of a need in your current or planned projects? For me it would, but all I build are (relatively) flat things. Sounds like you're into spinny things, based on all the turning stuff on your wishlist.

For things like a biscuit joiner and plunge router, I tried to wait until I had a need for the tool on a specific project. (However, in cases of serious shopping fever, I can come up with projects that require use of a new tool. ;) ) These are tools that I tend to only use occasionally, but when I do use them, they're hard to beat with another tool or technique.

Personally, I'd get the planer, but I have the other small electrics, and all I'd do with a bowl gouge is hurt myself. :) Your mileage will surely differ.

Happy shopping -

- Vaughn

Jason Solodow
09-10-2005, 7:22 AM
Good point Vaughn, the thing is I can justify a planer quite easily because I have alot of small pieces of furniture on my 'honey-do' list that would require it. Things such as a couple of end tables, some bed tables, things like that. However, I'm really into the spinny stuff as you put it and I spend about 6 hours a week turning ( I know it doesn't sound like much, but when you only get 8 hours a week in the shop, it's most of my time) and the new turning tools would come in very handy. But again, they would be mostly for fun.... so, as far as the plunge router and the biscuit joiner, I've heard that using a biscuit joiner for forming large planks comes in very handy, and the plunge router I could justify for doing inlays on some of my upcoming projects. So, I can justify just about anything, I just don't know what to spend it on. I told the LOML she should up my spending limit to about a grand so I can get it all, but she didn't go for that... I wonder why.....:confused:

Andy Hoyt
09-10-2005, 7:27 AM
Jason - A decent router and biscuit joiner combined should come close to your $400. Or get one of 'em and buy some turning stock with the balance.

John Bailey
09-10-2005, 8:19 AM
Hey,

No problem, just get another wife and you can spend another $400. Get it all!!

John

scott spencer
09-10-2005, 8:41 AM
If you don't have a planer and have use for one, I'd definitely go that route. I've almost gotten out of the habit of using my biscuit jointer at all....there are other ways to skin that cat, but planer is the easiest way to deal with smoothing and thicknessing IMO.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2005, 9:39 AM
John.....I disagree.....if he get's another wife.....he'll lose more than the budget he has now! When the court works done, he'll not need any tool budget as he won't have any tools left!

Jim Becker
09-10-2005, 9:49 AM
The answer to your question is, "What do you need for your next project(s)?"

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Jason, I was in the same boat as you are and I had $450 to spend. I wanted something I really needed for the shop but also wanted some toys, errr I mean tools to play with. So I decided to get what I really needed and got a planer which was the Delta TP305. That was $199 from Amazon. For me as a hobbiest I am not sorry I got it. I am now ordering a 3 hp plunge router for $179. I would have really liked to have gotten the DeWalt planer but I needed two tools to do a project I was going to do. I had enough money left to buy the ash wood I needed for one of the projects. So I bought mine on the basis of necessity and being a hobbiest it was a easy choice.

With what you said about a honey-do-list, I would definately opt for the planer.

Bernie

Steve Stube
09-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Bernie I'm thinking that another route might achieve the same harmony in the household.

Jason,

new turning tools would come in very handy. But again, they would be mostly for fun.
If it's relaxing (spending the majority of your spare time at the spiny thing, says something) and makes you happy you will share that happiness with those around you. Share enough happiness and that tool budget may get a bump up next time around. If this $400. wasn't based on the honey do list getting attention, I'd leave that list until a later negotiation.

John Bailey, I like your fuzzy math but Ken is looking at the bigger picture and unfortunately is correct in his forecast.

Norman Hitt
09-11-2005, 3:56 AM
Bernie I'm thinking that another route might achieve the same harmony in the household.

Jason,

If it's relaxing (spending the majority of your spare time at the spiny thing, says something) and makes you happy you will share that happiness with those around you. Share enough happiness and that tool budget may get a bump up next time around. If this $400. wasn't based on the honey do list getting attention, I'd leave that list until a later negotiation.

John Bailey, I like your fuzzy math but Ken is looking at the bigger picture and unfortunately is correct in his forecast.

Gollllleeeeeeeeeee, Steve, ya jest Gotta do sump'in bout dem posts. :( I had ter drag out two mikery skopes ter reed 'em. :D

John Bailey
09-11-2005, 4:36 AM
Steve and Ken,

Being a divorce expert (3 of them) I fully understand the math. However, what I meant was to "add" another wife, not just switch. On second thought, that might eat up more of the tool budget than divorce. Is it no wonder I have developed an enjoyment of working alone in the shop!

John