PDA

View Full Version : Raised hollow form

Allan Ferguson
01-26-2016, 2:26 PM
Poplar HF with Big Leaf Maple base and finial. This is a work in progress. Hollow form partial finish applied. 9" wide 19"high. Parts not glued. Open to suggestions.

Pat Scott
01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
I am far from an expert on hollow forms or finials, so take my comments for what they're worth.

The first thing that my eye was instantly drawn to was the thick finials and thick base. The base diameter might be OK, but the height looks too big. The base looks to be the same height as the hollow form, which makes it look like a chunk of wood. I think if it were half as high it would look better. I do like the simple half round shape of the base. If the base is not heavy enough for stability after shortening it, can you cut a groove or drill a hole in the bottom and glue in some lead shot?

Both finials need to be slimmed down to half of their diameter. Their weight is again detracting from the hollow form. I read somewhere that if you think the finial looks small enough, make it smaller. I think the length of both finials are fine, they just need to be reduced in diameter.

Thom Sturgill
01-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I pretty much agree with Scott, but think the HF could easily stand on its own.

Allan Ferguson
01-27-2016, 7:02 PM
Finials and such grow fat over night when left alone. Things looked thicker this AM to me also. Thanks for the input. Trying to put the offenders on a diet in the morning.