PDA

View Full Version : Question about refurbishing of an old wooden jointer

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-26-2016, 1:41 PM
Im trying to refurbish this old plane.

330314 Does anyone know what that knob in front of the escape slot is for ? its a littlebit loose, but I cant retract it.

330318 What is the best way to clean up the blade bed ? whith a very sharp chisel ? Im worried about getting an uneven surface

330319There is an inlay of some sort of hardwood I suppose. I guess it is to resist wear ?

Jim Koepke
01-26-2016, 2:03 PM
The knob in front of the escapement is a strike button to loosen the blade.

If the blade bed is true, leave it alone. There is no need for it to be pretty. If it has humps it would be best to take it down with a float. A float is a special type of tool, somewhat like a file. If you do not have a float careful work with a fine flat file should work.

The inlay was probably applied after the sole wore in that spot. This is a common repair on old wooden bodied planes.

How does it work as is?

jtk

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-26-2016, 2:12 PM
The knob in front of the escapement is a strike button to loosen the blade.

If the blade bed is true, leave it alone. There is no need for it to be pretty. If it has humps it would be best to take it down with a float. A float is a special type of tool, somewhat like a file. If you do not have a float careful work with a fine flat file should work.

The inlay was probably applied after the sole wore in that spot. This is a common repair on old wooden bodied planes.

How does it work as is?

jtk

I did not try it because the blade and cap iron is very rusty. The screw that held the handle was broken so I used a hole saw to drill it out. that left a 16mm hole which I filled with a home made dowel. First time I had to use my new Lie Nielsen Dowel plate :)

Robert Norman
01-26-2016, 2:40 PM
If the handle had a screw, odds are it was added when the handle became loose at some point and screwed in by an owner in a pinch. Check the fit of the handle and hide glue it back in. The irons for those are fairly consistently sized considering how many plane companies there were. If yours can't be saved there are replacements available on the auction sites.
Tune it and use it, they are a joy to work with.

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-26-2016, 2:43 PM
If the handle had a screw, odds are it was added when the handle became loose at some point and screwed in by an owner in a pinch. Check the fit of the handle and hide glue it back in. The irons for those are fairly consistently sized considering how many plane companies there were. If yours can't be saved there are replacements available on the auction sites.
Tune it and use it, they are a joy to work with.

I think the screw was originally there from factory because the heel of the handle base is vedged so it locks it self