PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Inspired Cherry Headboard w/Pics

Jason Tuinstra
09-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Well, this is certainly not going to win me any awards for difficulty or design, but it was a fast and fun project for my 8 year old daughter. Since we've been in Ca, she's been without a headboard - insert frown. The boys all got bunk beds while said daughter was left with nothing. Well, scratch another item off the ole' to-do-list!

Like I said, it's nothing special and there are no major eye popping qualities to it. It's just your basic headboard. And in true Shaker style, it's a single! :p :D :) And I intend for my daughter to remain a "Shaker" for a very, very, very long time!!! :p

The construction is basic mortise and tenon. The panels were made using a bit from Lee Valley - it's the Shaker bit designed by CH Becksvoort. The legs are 1 ¾ and the frame is ¾ Right now, the oil is drying. In a week or so I'll spray it with some lacquer.

So far my daughter doesn’t know that I made her a bed. We hope to sneak it into her room when she's at school. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for looking!

George Grubaugh
09-10-2005, 12:39 AM
I'd hesitate to say that you're in the wrong business......, but you are a heck of a woodworker!

Nice job. She'll cherish it. Thanks for showing us.

Best regards,

George

Dick Strauss
09-10-2005, 1:20 AM
Jason,
It may not be "fancy" but natural cherry gets my woodworking urges going every time! I also like the great looks with the dark square pegs. Hopefully your daughter and her future kids will love it forever. Nice job!!!!!

Dick

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-10-2005, 1:35 AM
If I'm not working with mesquite, I'll be working cherry...and the reason is that someday I might find some as pretty as you do! :D I love the simplicity, and the pegs. And the note makes the whole deal even better.

KC

Vaughn McMillan
09-10-2005, 3:09 AM
I'll bet that headboard you call "nothing special" will be in your family for a long, long time. Another great job, Jason.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse here, but dude, slow down. You're making us mortals look bad. ;)

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
09-10-2005, 3:40 AM
Jason, the Simple Beauty of it will only be exceeded by the Smile on her face. I had been wondering what you'd been up to in the shop lately, and NOW, we see what the secret was. ;)

Dan Forman
09-10-2005, 3:47 AM
Very nice Jason, and she will love it. The sig was a nice touch.

Dan

Russ Massery
09-10-2005, 4:44 AM
Another Beautiful piece Jason! I love the simplicity of shaker design.I'm sure it something your daughter will cherish for a lifetime.

Richard Wolf
09-10-2005, 8:27 AM
Nice job, very well done.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2005, 9:15 AM
Jason....you right in one respect....it's simple...simply beautiful that is! You've just created another family heirloom!

Mark Singer
09-10-2005, 9:24 AM
I really like this project! Very nice workmanship and design!

Tim Burke
09-10-2005, 9:29 AM
Jason,

Great work, and your other work is stunning! I just finished browsing your album.
The sig is a nice touch. It will mean so much to them, especially as the years go by.

Tim

Steve Inniss
09-10-2005, 9:44 AM
Jason,
Sweet.
-Steve

Jim Becker
09-10-2005, 9:48 AM
Outstanding!! Did I happen to say, "outstanding"??? ;) :D

Peter Mc Mahon
09-10-2005, 9:55 AM
Great work Jason. I also think that you have a very good eye for photography as well as design. Pic #3 is truly professional quality. Peter

Chris Barton
09-10-2005, 9:55 AM
Hi Jason,

As others have pointed out, something you build doesn't need to be "fancy" to be an artful masterpiece. I think of the many pieces that Jim Krenov has produced and would call none of them fancy, but all are works of art. Likewise is your headboard... Great work!

Corvin Alstot
09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Fantastic. Great job, nice proportions.
How did you cut your M&T joints? Router, chisel or other?

Jason Tuinstra
09-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Wow, I'm suprised by all the comments. Thanks everyone. You guys are always so encouraging. If my daughter dosen't like the bed, I'll be sure to make her read this thread :D :p

Corvin, I used a router to cut the mortises and the tablesaw to cut the tenons. I normally use a mortiser, but I had a new bit I wanted to try out :)

Byron Trantham
09-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Jason, you did your daughter proud. That is a very nice piece of work. I like the proportions. Great job!

Mike Cutler
09-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Very nice, very nice indeed. I like the "simple lines".The pinning detail is just the touch to push it over the edge, thus making it a very finely done headboard.
Nice work Jason,well done.

Jim W. White
09-10-2005, 1:15 PM
BEAUTIFUL ....your daughter is going to love it! ....my daughter just seems to appreciate the little things more than my son ....she might not always tell you but I'm quite sure your her HERO!!

Mike Waddell
09-10-2005, 1:44 PM
Jason -

I joined this board to see work like this and learn from people like you and the others that post hear. Very nice work!

You have inspired me to create a headboard for my kids' beds also!

All the best,

Mike

Jason Tuinstra
09-10-2005, 2:18 PM
Mike, wow, that's quite a comment. Glad to have you aboard! The guys here are great. You'll learn a ton from them and they're always eager to answer your questions.

Steve Clardy
09-10-2005, 2:44 PM
Nice job Jason. Cherry is my second choice wood.

Martin Shupe
09-10-2005, 2:47 PM
Very nice, as usual, Jason...

Is it going to attached to a metal frame? Or just sit between the bed and wall? Just curious.

Your work is always outstanding.

Jason Tuinstra
09-10-2005, 5:27 PM
Martin, good to hear from you again. I need to pick up some threaded inserts, and then I'll attatch the metal frame to the headboard. We were going to build a whole frame out of cherry, but right now we don't want to invest the wood into an area that will make due for now. The "we" refers to myself and the cheif holder of the massive to-do-list :p

Michael Stafford
09-10-2005, 7:33 PM
What a wonderful family heirloom and terrific surprise for a very lucky little girl. Great job, Jason! :D

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2005, 8:09 PM
Jason,

Very, Very nice my friend....!!!! :D
I may have to steal some ideas from this piece for when I make the LOML a new bedroom suit......Thanks for sharing your project..... :D

Corey Hallagan
09-10-2005, 8:35 PM
Excellent work, once again Jason. I agree with the others, you are an excellent wood worker. Keep it up!

Corey

Jules Dominguez
09-10-2005, 9:42 PM
Jason, that's very nice.

Peter Pedisich
09-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Jason,

Thanks for sharing, like a previous post stated I'm here to learn!

I really appreciate when fine woodworkers like yourself take the time to post photos and notes about methods and materials, especially in areas I know little about such as finishing.

Also, I like the handwritten note, nice touch.

Pete

Mark Stutz
09-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Jason,
As always, a great job. This will be heirloom for sure, especially with that wonderful inscription.
Please elaborate a little more on the panels and the special bit. I'm not familiar with it. Thanks.

Mark

Jason Tuinstra
09-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Please elaborate a little more on the panels and the special bit. I'm not familiar with it. Thanks.

Mark, the panels are 3/4" thick and I put the profile on both sides of the panel. Concerning the bit, here's one of the paragraphs from Lee Valley.

"The Shakers often made raised panels with a simple, slightly bevelled rabbet, and then assembled the door with the raised portion of the panel facing the cabinet interior. The result appealed to the Shakers, as it made a door panel which was both easy to build and easy to keep clean."

Here's a pic of the bit as well.

Tony Falotico
09-11-2005, 9:51 AM
Okay, I'll have to substitute smiley faces :) :) :) :) :)

Beautiful job, simple, elegant and excellently executed!

Jim O'Dell
09-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Just remember you said here that it is nothing special one of these days when you are visiting your daughter and family, and go in to tuck one of her kiddos in for a good nights sleep, and said kiddo has this very familiar looking headboard attached to their bed. Yes, it will be in the family for generations.
BEAUTIFUL!!!! SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Jim.