PDA

View Full Version : Shop drawers, part 2

Randy Rizzo
01-26-2016, 6:55 AM
Well, it's done. And after mulling over a quick pocket screw drawer construction, I dragged out the dovetail jig, planed stock to 5/8's and had at it. The bedroom furniture that's been waiting to be finished, I guess another few weeks won't hurt. This project seemed to take on a life of its own. I had originally just planned a straight run of cabinets, from saw to just under the window. Instead I carried into the corner and down the wall, creating a "U" shaped work area.

Jebediah Eckert
01-26-2016, 7:09 AM
Those sure are nice shop cabinets, and a lot of them. Is the floor going to stay chipboard?

Hoang N Nguyen
01-26-2016, 8:20 AM
Looks amazing!! I've been putting off building shop cabinets and a stand for my miter saw for some months now. This should help get me off my lazy buns and get to work. Thanks for sharing.

Marty Tippin
01-26-2016, 9:52 AM
Very nice! I like the run of electric outlets along the back of the cabinets.

Andrew Hughes
01-26-2016, 9:53 AM
I think it's looks great too.Clean and simple!

roger wiegand
01-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Wow! Very nice.

I see you went mostly for cabinets. I'm planning a miter saw stand/storage set of cabinets, probably 8 ft on each side of the saw but was thinking I'd do mostly drawers, including a couple rows of small ones to attempt to organize my hardware. But even for storing larger hand power tools and such I thought it would be more convenient to make deep drawers with dividers to avoid having to get down on my hands and knees to search for stuff in the back of cabinets.

I'm curious how you plan to use the storage space and how you balanced cabinets vs drawers in your design.

John TenEyck
01-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Nicely done. You know how you work, but I would no want that big peninsula; I would have made it an island so I could pass through near the far wall.

John

Randy Rizzo
01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Those sure are nice shop cabinets, and a lot of them. Is the floor going to stay chipboard?

The original intent was to put in tongue and groove loft flooring. Several stain and paint spills modified that intent. It will stay OSB. I'll let the kids take care of that, it's been mentioned several times the shop would make a great pool room/man cave

Wow! Very nice.

I see you went mostly for cabinets. I'm planning a miter saw stand/storage set of cabinets, probably 8 ft on each side of the saw but was thinking I'd do mostly drawers, including a couple rows of small ones to attempt to organize my hardware. But even for storing larger hand power tools and such I thought it would be more convenient to make deep drawers with dividers to avoid having to get down on my hands and knees to search for stuff in the back of cabinets.

I'm curious how you plan to use the storage space and how you balanced cabinets vs drawers in your design.

There wasn’t a lot of scientific research that went into the build. I do use some of the drawers for tool storage. But I have a lot of fairly large tools in their hard containers that simply won’t fit in a drawer. Mostly they are tools that I used in building the cabin that see little use these days, just can’t seem to part with them. Several cabinets have slide out trays.

Nicely done. You know how you work, but I would no want that big peninsula; I would have made it an island so I could pass through near the far wall.

John

A good observation. The original set of benches were an island arrangement. I didn’t realize until I started setting cabinets in place what a hinderance the absence of an additional walk through was going to be. Were I to do it over, I’d have left the saw and a couple of cabinets on either side an island and placed additional cabinets on the back wall. I’m sure it’ll wind up being a PITA, much like the duck under I had in my model railroading days. I had a room with a single entry, the layout was built around all the walls. I convinced myself that ducking under the benchwork every time I had to enter/leave the room wasn’t going to be that much of an issue, a planning decision I’d regret for 20+ years!

As I’m looking at the photos I posted I noticed the windows still have the manufacturing peel off stickers on them. Funny how you can get used to something, the windows were installed at the time I built the garage, in 2006.

Ray Newman
01-27-2016, 2:13 PM
very impressive work!

Randy Rizzo
01-27-2016, 3:58 PM
very impressive work!

Thanks, I should have taken before and after photos. The original slapped together benches were not a thing of beauty. Functional to be sure. They were just 1X4's with a top and recess for the SCMS, an open shelf to store tools below, about 6' either side of the saw. But, at the time speed and functionality were key, too much else to do.

Bill McNiel
01-28-2016, 1:33 PM
Very nice Randy, I especially like your Sawtill, :D