PDA

View Full Version : glue to fasten plastic to wood?

Jim Andrew
01-25-2016, 8:34 PM
I received a plastic cup holder from a neighbor, it came out of a van, and would like to glue it to a board so I can mount it in my tractor cab. The thing is hollow, so can't really screw or bolt it to a board so I can mount it. Thanks.

Bryan Cramer
01-25-2016, 8:46 PM
Try epoxy, but it sometimes won't bond to certain plastics so then maybe a polyurethane glue like Gorilla Glue.

william watts
01-25-2016, 9:10 PM
Household Goop. According to the web site, this to that.com. I have used it and it's strong stuff for plastic to wood. Sorry I have to learn to make a link on this IPad.

Myk Rian
01-25-2016, 9:17 PM
Roughen the cup bottom, (or wherever you put the glue) with sandpaper first. Give it some tooth to hold to.

Keith Westfall
01-25-2016, 9:47 PM
Get some JB Weld. It won't come off - ever...

John T Barker
01-26-2016, 1:09 AM
Get some JB Weld. It won't come off - ever...

Ditto and ditto

Jim Andrew
01-26-2016, 7:53 PM
I have some JB weld, wasn't sure. Thanks for the replys.

pat warner
01-26-2016, 8:41 PM
Hi-tack PSA

Chris Padilla
01-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Polyurethane glue glues just about anything to just about anything.

Allan Speers
01-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Household Goop. According to the web site, this to that.com. I have used it and it's strong stuff for plastic to wood. Sorry I have to learn to make a link on this IPad.

+1 for "GOOP." In my extensive experience, it works better than even the expensive "for plastic" epoxies.

It's still a good idea to rough up the edges, if possible.

Tom M King
01-28-2016, 3:38 PM
I just tried some of this stuff yesterday, and torture tested the pieces today. I like it a lot. It stays a little be flexible, but is very strong holding different types of materials together. I couldn't get anything apart without destroying anything from wood to copper. I'll now see how long the bottle lasts having used some out of it. But do look at the list of plastics it's not compatible with.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2_glue/overview/Go2-Glue.htm