PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Cabinet Hinges

John Goodin
01-25-2016, 6:42 PM
I am building a bath vanity cabinet. It is a furniture style and built around four 2.75" square posts on which the concealed hinges will be mounted. I would like to have a one inch overlay. To my knowledge they do not make a one overlay hinge for a frameless cabinet which makes sense because most frameless cabinets are made from 3/4" material. Would a one inch overlay hinge for a face frame work? I see that Blum also has a compact hinge (39C)

http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/blum-european-cabinet-hinges-type-BH39C355B16

Will this work? Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I would just order a couple but need to figure out if I need to rework my plans for a 3/4" overlay and don't want to wait.

Dick Mahany
01-25-2016, 7:09 PM
The hinge that you referenced looks like it should work. The specs do call for a "European Face Frame" cabinet application. Try calling cabinet parts directly to see if they can help. Those Blum hinges with Blumotion are nice.

On the Euro style frameless hinges, Blum 71T7500N is a 125 degree hinge that is for large overlays and looks like it would also work. Their technical manual with detailed specs is on their site for download. Lots of good info in it.

Jamie Buxton
01-25-2016, 8:48 PM
One unfortunate thing about those face-frame cup hinges is there is a 3/16" gap between the back of the door and the front of the face-frame. On some pieces you never see it, but on others, it is an issue.

Gene Davis
01-25-2016, 9:02 PM
For a question like this, I always refer you to the Blum hinge catalog, which diagrams out every one of their hinges showing overlays, backsets, and much more.

You can download it from their website. Fabulous documentation.

Without looking at any of the hinges, I'll bet your going to have trouble finding a hinge that will do a 1 inch overlay. 18mm is about as large as I have seen.

Why do you want such a large overlay? You can do it with ordinary hinges, but is that what you want? So tell us, concealed or not?