PDA

View Full Version : Mobile cyclone question.

Mike Wilkins
01-25-2016, 2:52 PM
Anyone connect a mobile cyclone to a dust collection duct system. I am about ready to upgrade my 1 1/2 horse single stage Delta to something that will handle a dual-drum sander, which really needs a more powerful dust collection system. Looking at something more in line with my budget. Thanks.

Hoang N Nguyen
01-25-2016, 3:47 PM
I have the Oneida 2hp portable dust gorilla and it's hooked up to duct work. I started out with a long flex hose moving from 1 tool to another until I was able to rearrange my shop to allow my main tools to be stationary. I pushed my DC to a corner of the shop and just wedged the tires with some blocks to prevent it from moving. Haven't at an issue with it yet.

Jim Becker
01-25-2016, 3:49 PM
A drum sander may very well require much higher air flow than your current DC can provide and adding the cyclone to it, while helping with separation, may actually decrease performance slightly due to the extra load. And if you don't adequately extract the dust from the sander, it may impact its quality and performance, too. While I understand the budget concern, the requirements of the end-point tool are important. That forced me to a larger cyclone when I bought my J/P combo, quite frankly...

Porter Friedman
01-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Hoang, how has your experience been with the portable dust gorilla? I coincidentally just posted asking about experiences hooking the same one up to a ducted system. See my recent post in this forum.

What's the longest run of ducting you have? Does it work well for that purpose? Anything you would do differently if starting over?

Adam Levitt
01-26-2016, 2:08 AM
I have the Oneida portable dust gorilla and it works great extracting from my 12 inch j/p.
I am planning on making it stationary and ducting the shop.

Hoang N Nguyen
01-26-2016, 8:44 AM
Hoang, how has your experience been with the portable dust gorilla? I coincidentally just posted asking about experiences hooking the same one up to a ducted system. See my recent post in this forum.

What's the longest run of ducting you have? Does it work well for that purpose? Anything you would do differently if starting over?

I have mix feelings about the unit. It works great when it works, but I have spent more time cleaning out the cyclone and filter then I do using it. I've had many problems since the day I've received it and customer service is kind of lacking IMHO. It's a long story and won't post it here so if you want to hear more, feel free to PM me.

With that said, my portable dust gorilla has no problems pulling from my planer which is about a 20' run of 6" pipes with 4 bends. My other 2 tools that are hooked up to it are my TS and 8" jointer with helical head. It also doesn't have an issue pulling from them and I'd say the run is around 15' on those if not a bit more. I have a supermax 19-38 drum sander and it doesn't leave any dust on the table while I use it, even with 5' of flex hose plus about 15' of metal duct.

You can see all my runs in the picture I attached. The first split on the main trunk between my jointer and TS has a 5'-6' flex hose that I use to hook up tools that are mobile. That would be my router table, band saw and drum sander. All openings have blast gates before flex hose starts.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't get a a mobile unit. Only reason why I did was because my tools had to be rolled around whenever I started a project and rolled back up against the wall when done. Now that I'm able to give my most used tools a permanent home, I have no use to roll the DC around. If I did it again, I'm not sure if I'd buy another Oneida unit either for the reasons I mentioned above.