PDA

View Full Version : Wenge for mallet head?

Andy Howard
09-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I am about to start making a few turned mallets for myself and for gifts. Gonna use the design from the June/July 2004 WOOD magazine.

I will be using maple for the handle and main staft of the head, and laminating a contrasting wood to the outside for the outer head.

Do you all think it would be ok to use Wenge as the mallet head? I guess maybe mohogany would be my second option, maybe followed by walnut? I am trying to use pieces (scraps) that I already have.

Thanks
Andy

Alan Turner
09-10-2005, 5:11 AM
Wenge is heavy and strong, and so would be fine. Costwise, at about $4/b.f., purpleheart is another good choice.

Michael Stafford
09-10-2005, 7:25 AM
Andy, wenge is strong and hard but sometimes it is splintery as well. I think if it is to be used as a decorative piece it would be beautiful but I fear it would not fare that well as functional mallet. Typically close grained dense hardwoods make better mallets.

Jim Becker
09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I will add that mahogany and walnut would not be good choices for a mallet...too soft for the requirements of the tool.

Earl Kelly
09-10-2005, 12:02 PM
I would like to throw in Bubinga as a possibility for a mallet head also. Looks good with Maple.