PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought gas couldn't get any cheaper

Ole Anderson
01-25-2016, 1:39 AM
I went to the Kroger fueling station yesterday and filled up my car and two cans. Pump price was $1.399 per gallon and with my dollar off per gallon from Kroger points I paid 39.9 cents per gallon. 28.556 gallons only cost $11.39. I almost felt like they were giving out free gas.:D Now if those prices can hold until I need to drive my 6.5 mpg MH home from FL...

Jim Koepke
01-25-2016, 3:20 AM
The best I have gotten so far with the Kroger points at Fred Meyer is 50¢.

Kind of hard to get up higher when there are only two of us. My recollection is we did a lot of shopping for the grandkids coming up and staying.

jtk

Matthew Brawley
01-25-2016, 7:06 AM
With Iran ready to flood the world market with an additional 2 million barrels of oil a day, I would say oil will get to about $20 a barrel before it's finished.

Curt Harms
01-25-2016, 8:10 AM
I went to the Kroger fueling station yesterday and filled up my car and two cans. Pump price was $1.399 per gallon and with my dollar off per gallon from Kroger points I paid 39.9 cents per gallon. 28.556 gallons only cost $11.39. I almost felt like they were giving out free gas.:D Now if those prices can hold until I need to drive my 6.5 mpg MH home from FL...

Giant SuperMarkets have gas points incentives and their own gas stations as well. We've gotten free gas a few times by paying attention to their extra gas points promotions. I wonder if low oil prices will last only until OPEC has decided they've inflicted enough damage on U.S. producers. Then there'll be an 'international crisis' and prices will shoot back up.

Ole Anderson
01-25-2016, 8:16 AM
The best I have gotten so far with the Kroger points at Fred Meyer is 50¢.

Kind of hard to get up higher when there are only two of us. My recollection is we did a lot of shopping for the grandkids coming up and staying.

jtk Recently was bonus points day at 4 times normal, so Anne purchased gift cards for Subway, Cracker Barrel and the big one, Olive Garden where we went last night and celebrated my grandson's 16th birthday and racked up nearly $200 on the gift cards. My neighbor put me onto this as she is very frugal and when they did a home renovation they bought HD gift cards at Kroger on bonus points. She had so many points built up all five of her kids were buying gas at Kroger at a buck off a gallon.

Ole Anderson
01-25-2016, 8:23 AM
And what is with the tagged-on .9 cents per gallon? Gets back to my previous discussion as to "how stupid do they think we are" by pricing a $100 item at $99.99 and thinking it will generate more sales. I suppose there are enough stupid people out there to justify it.

Jim Koepke
01-25-2016, 1:18 PM
And what is with the tagged-on .9 cents per gallon? Gets back to my previous discussion as to "how stupid do they think we are" by pricing a $100 item at $99.99 and thinking it will generate more sales. I suppose there are enough stupid people out there to justify it.

If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

It is darn near impossible to cure stupid. Some people will hang on to it as if it were a family heirloom.

jtk

Chris Padilla
01-25-2016, 1:25 PM
I've read a few blogs on the 0.9 cents added on to gas. Interesting stuff. Stupid...but interesting.

Bill Orbine
01-25-2016, 3:04 PM
Just waiting for the for oil to get too cheap forcing many companies in the Americas to shut down and remove well equipment ............ and THEN the foreign oil pull the rug out and drop production to spike prices again! But, then again....... maybe it all about keeping alternative energy, which is gaining a foothold, at bay for a long as possible.

Bert Kemp
01-25-2016, 3:09 PM
I'm single and my Kruger card never gets me discounts on gas I simply don't buy enough there. :(

Bob Turkovich
01-25-2016, 4:08 PM

You obviously posted before going out this AM. Gas prices jumped up $0.30/gal. overnight...:(