PDA

View Full Version : Engraving adventures with new laser

Gene Uselman
01-24-2016, 4:28 PM
I have a shiney new 1390 x 130w chinese laser and have been working on learning the sofeware (lasercut 6.1) and the control panel and the machine for a couple weeks (weekends and slow times during the week). I am getting cutting different materials pretty well, I think... so this weekend was time to do some vector engraving. I am using Romark and Duet (Gemini) .060 plastic- mostly brushed silver and gold and taking off the liner and masking with transfer (premask) take. I am getting the engraving to work fine, but the burned out plastic has what I think is a coating of the adhesive from the premask tape- which looks bad and does not clean off very well. What am I doing wrong? Thanks Gene

Keith Winter
01-24-2016, 5:59 PM
These look great from what I can see, you're doing fantastic! Maybe you can post a more close up of the issue?

Gary Hair
01-24-2016, 9:23 PM
Why use the masking? I've been layering Rowmark for over 9 years and have never had a problem that I thought masking would solve. Cleanup after with Denatured alcohol and every bit of residue comes off.

Gene Uselman
01-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks Gary- we buy Isopropyl alc by the case but I don't have Denatured (will soon). Thanks Gene

John Noell
01-25-2016, 8:33 PM
We often drop freshly engraved Rowmark (esp. red/white) into a basin of water with dish detergent. Quick and easy clean up (usually).

Mike Troncalli
01-26-2016, 7:55 AM
Goo Be Gone works very well.. But I'll try the denatured alcohol as well as it is much cheaper, plus that wonderful orange scent from the goo be gone doesn't linger for 2 days.