PDA

View Full Version : Machine Recommendations

Jake Brothers
01-24-2016, 1:45 PM
Hey everyone,

I am new here and to laser engraving/cutting. I thought I would start by asking others with their experience on which route to take on equipment.

I am looking to engrave and cut acrylic, wood, and some metals. The 3 top competitors machines don't mention metals as being an option (except trotec who say some metals up to 0.5 mm...which is very thin to my understanding)

Here are a few examples of what I would be looking to cut as well to help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Braden Todd
01-24-2016, 4:54 PM
I highly suggest calling Kern Laser Systems. Ask for Keith and tell him I recommended you to call him, he is a great rep before and after the sale.

A kern system will cut everything you want to do and they engrave really well too. Definitely can't go wrong with their machines.

Good luck!

Scott Marquez
01-24-2016, 5:07 PM
Jake
Welcome aboard, you might let us know about the price point that you are considering, as it will be a big difference on the machines or processes that people will suggest.
Scott

Jake Brothers
01-24-2016, 8:06 PM
Jake
Welcome aboard, you might let us know about the price point that you are considering, as it will be a big difference on the machines or processes that people will suggest.
Scott

Great point! Im looking at $10,000 and under if possible. I know the prices for Epilog, Universal, & Trotec are around the $20,000 mark to startup with any of those machines.

Thank you as well to the first poster for the advice of Kern, however bigger than I am looking for currently.

Bert Kemp
01-25-2016, 12:30 AM
you can get a decent co2 laser in your budget range but its not going to cut metal . The pic's you show looks like fairly small items , so I'd say a bed size of 600 x400 would do you well and an 80 watt tube.

David Somers
01-25-2016, 1:43 AM
Jake,

A CO2 will go through Faux Gold Leaf. I have experimented with that and it works nicely. But I think that stuff is a mylar variant and not real metal. Haven't tried looking it up other than to play with it.
Others here can guide you on cutting metals. There are some previous threads on this as well if you do a search on "cutting metal." That might give you all the info you need.

For something like the tree in your original post, you might look at using veneer. Or if it needs to be less delicate you might use two sheets of adhesive backed veneer, mounted back to back with the grain of each piece 90 degrees to the other. Flexible, but very durable compared to simple wood. I use that a lot. If you use that, be sure you cut it a week or two in advance of sale since it is a bit smelly till the odor fades from cutting. Or seal the edges somehow. Just some time will take care of it though.

The company I bought from (in my signature) has a 6040 80 watt laser. The tube for the 80 watt has an extension added to the side of the laser case to enclose it. Most 6040 cases are too narrow to hold the length of an 80 watt otherwise.

Good luck!!

Dave

David Somers
01-25-2016, 1:46 AM
Jake....got stuck on hold and had a minute to do a search on a thread that discusses metal cutting. Try this one. And do your own search too of course.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161318-Cutting-Very-Thin-Stainless-Steel