PDA

View Full Version : Router Table/Cabinet Electrical

Herb Smith
01-24-2016, 1:06 PM
I'm building a cabinet for my Incra LS System. Looking a two or three types of power switches and would like to surface mount it if possible. That means the connection from the router to the switch will be inside the dust collection area. Whether it's a socket - as on the Jessem switch - or a female cord - as on the Rockler switch - or hard wired, I'm concerned with whether the connection has to be somehow sealed. In other words, is there a problem with a non-sealed electrical connection in the midst of all that dust? Thanks in advance for your advice.

George Bokros
01-24-2016, 1:14 PM
The switch on my 1970's vintage table saw saw was in the dust ridden area.

Jim Dwight
01-24-2016, 7:31 PM
I surface mounted a double metal box on the outside of the base of my router table under the overhang of the top. It has a face plate (metal) that has an opening for a switch at one end and a double outlet on the other side. A 20A switch switches the outlet. The router plugs into the outlet. Besides the fact that this is inexpensive (relatively) and parts to fix it are very readily available it has a safety advantage. I can so easily plug and unplug the router I am more likely to do it for bit changes.