PDA

View Full Version : my $.02 on the finishing roller coaster

Charlie Fox
01-24-2016, 12:06 PM
after years of anguish with inconsistent results using Water Lox and GF Arm r Seal, brushed and wiped, i started trying Minwax Clear Satin poly and love the results. i am spraying on using a small compressor and a Husky HVLP spray gun, gravity fed. i even apply it outside under a canopy (low wind days) at pretty much any temperature (well, i am in Houston so almost always 45 deg and up), just no direct sunlight. i give it a light sanding with 400 grit between coats to remove nibs. four coats on my farmhouse kitchen table made from antique pine flooring and after 9 months of daily use and heavy holiday use including several games of double 12 dominoes and it still looks brand new. just used it on a natural edge mesquite table (see projects) as well. i feel like this is "hallelujah" and a load has been lifted off my shoulders! a KISS event for certain. oh - for my hardwoods i do start with a coat or two of thinned raw tung oil.

any thoughts? am i missing something, or has anyone else found the basic stuff you can get at any box store works just fine?

not a big glossy fan, the clear satin is just perfect for most all my work.

Bill White
01-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Successful finishing is in the eye of the beholder. I sometimes go brain dead trying to demystify all the somewhat exotic formulae brought forth. If you're pleased with the results, stick with it.
Bill

Frederick Skelly
01-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I''ve had good luck with that product too, Charlie.

FYI, shellac is another simple finish that I'm learning to really like. It's not as durable as poly, but it's nice to use on pieces that don't require something tougher.

Charlie Fox
01-24-2016, 7:11 PM
thats why i call it a "roller coaster". its like dog food amongst competition dogs- what works for one does not work for another, so when you find what works you stick to it.

Charlie Fox
01-24-2016, 7:13 PM
that stuff looks scary! i see all the colored flakes at Woodcraft and it makes me wonder - i do hear good things like you said. i may try it on something like a mirror frame. what is your preferred method?

Frederick Skelly
01-24-2016, 7:25 PM
that stuff looks scary! i see all the colored flakes at Woodcraft and it makes me wonder - i do hear good things like you said. i may try it on something like a mirror frame. what is your preferred method?

I buy a small can of pre-mixed at a paint or hardware store. Be sure to check the codes on the lid to ensure you're getting fresh product - google zinsser shellac date codes for how to read it. Then I just brush it on.