PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Dry Glue From Bessey K-Body Clamps

Frank Drackman
01-24-2016, 9:55 AM
I have sinned, I have let dried PVA glue buildup on my clamps. The K-body clamps are in the worst shape. I was planning on using a heat gun and brass brush but thought that someone here might have already developed the appropriate protocol.

Has anyone develop the perfect solution to cleaning glue from clamps?

As usual, thanks - Frank

Jim Becker
01-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Acetone will remove the glue. Do it with good ventilation, however, and nitrile gloves.

George Bokros
01-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Acetone will remove the glue. Do it with good ventilation, however, and nitrile gloves.

Acetone will remove dried glue?

glenn bradley
01-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Probably depends on how much glue we're talking about. Are these drips where the joints were in a panel glue up? If so I just pop the glue off with an awl. If they are a slathered mess of hardened goo there is some work ahead. On the upside, you probably won't ever let this happen again ;-)

Things that are reported to work:

- Chilling; if you like where its cold set the clamps outside for awhile, bring them in and chip away.
- Heating; a heat gun and a scraper, awl and brush as you mentioned. I would remove the foot pin and lower jaw. Avoid deforming the upper jaw with the heat.
- Chemicals; I have no experience here so I'll let others recommend these.

Good luck.

Rick Contonio
01-24-2016, 2:48 PM
They make a release agent for PVA glue. Have you tried that?

Stan Calow
01-24-2016, 5:32 PM
I just chipped some off my clamps with a hammer & chisel + wire brush.

David Zaret
01-24-2016, 8:24 PM
i use a torch and wire brush to remove the glue, then while the bar is still hot i hit it with bees wax and melt it into the grooves. that prevents future glue from sticking.

Don Jarvie
01-24-2016, 9:19 PM
Hit the glue with a wire wheel and it will pop off. Use some paste wax occasionally and your all set.

Mike Henderson
01-24-2016, 10:26 PM
Take an old chisel and use the side of it to scrape the glue off. Easy and works great.

Mike

Robert Engel
01-25-2016, 7:51 AM
Scrape it off always worked for me.

Really no need for chemicals.

Frank Drackman
01-25-2016, 9:37 AM
They make a release agent for PVA glue. Have you tried that?

Never heard of it, will have to get some information. Has anyone succesfully used it?

Frank Drackman
01-25-2016, 9:38 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.

lowell holmes
01-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Warm white vinegar water will soften white glue. It's much safer than some other stuff.