PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp plugins

Judson Green
01-23-2016, 7:21 PM
Ok so Ive been playing around with SU for a few weeks now and was wondering is there any must have plugins?

was at their site and it was a bit overwhelming. im mostly into woodworking but kitchen and architecture are interests to.

Grant Wilkinson
01-24-2016, 12:49 PM
I like Cutlist.

Thomas F Walsh
02-09-2016, 6:28 PM
I'm new to this forum but have been using SU for years now. I also found the world of plugins to be overwhelming. As a beginner though, I forced myself to use only the native tools to bring me up to speed with the program.
(You can model anything using the basics. It might take you a month, but it's possible.)

That said, for woodworking, I use the already installed "solid tools" a lot for joinery so I only have to do half the joint (Model a tenon, then use solid tools to subtract the tenon from the mating piece, and I'm left with a mortise. But you need to have a "solid" component in order to work with those tools. So I use the plugin "Solid Inspector" to check for inaccuracies. It can save a lot of headache.

Another one is "Round Corner" by Fredo. It eases and bevels edges (both inside and outside).

A lot of people also like "Profile Builder" when working with moldings, but I've yet to graduate from the "Follow Me" tool.

But I really wouldn't consider these essential. Plugins excel when it comes to modeling details and organic shapes, and when you're looking for speed.

Matt Day
02-09-2016, 6:54 PM
I use akb_woodspecies (IIRC) to add in more types of wood material. It might not be the most accurate but it's much better than stock.