PDA

View Full Version : Regenerative Vacuum Pump for CNC Issues - Need Help Please!

Brandon Bonenfant
01-23-2016, 2:04 PM
Hey Everyone!

We have recently purchased a 10hp 220V Regenerative Vacuum Pump off of Ebay(Primarily the portion that worries me).

We got a heck of a deal on it and the pump was supposedly "Brand New". I say supposedly due to the fact that the pump was ran prior to this by the previous owner. We were informed that the pump was new, and later found it was not. This is not my main issue, for all intents and purposes, I just want it to work correctly and this is the portion that it is not doing.

Here is some of the pumps specifications to help out:

10hp
220V
40A draw

We had a certified electrician come and hook up all the wiring and hook it to the breaker box and get it running. Initially it seemed to work great, had tons of suction and lots of power. This was prior to hooking it up to our Table Vacuum System.

A little about our system:
- 48" x 48"
Our Table Process:
1) Began with a 1" Piece of Particle board used as a Base Board.
2) Then glued a 3/4" Piece of MDF to use a Plenum Board to this Base Board to seal it(used lots of glue to assure this).
3) Channels were then cut to Shop Bot specifications and sealed with 5 coats of sanding sealer.
4) 3/4" Bleeder Board was then applied and had both sides planned down about 1/8" to remove the sealed edges.
5) This was then glued and applied to the table and had the edges sealed with 2 more coats of glue.
6) Pipes were then ran to the pump and the middle of the zones on the table.
7) We have 2 Zones that are each 24" x 48"
8) One relief valve is left exposed to allow for depressurizing system. One valve for each zone was installed as well.
8) At this point our system is ready for testing.

Here is where the issue lies:

- Once our vacuum system was turned on (with the relief valve initially open) the machine was loud and seemed to have a large amount of power, but no pressure to the vacuum table(due to the relief valve letting in all the air).
- Our next step was to close the relief valve to pressurize the system. This is where things went bad.
- Once this was done, the system seemed to bog down and then proceeded to trip the breaker.
- We attempted to allow the machine up to 45 minutes to warm up before pressurizing it and once again the machine tripped the breaker. We contacted the electrical company and they informed us not to use any breaker over 40A since that is the draw of the machine.

- Anyone have any experience with this issue? We are trying to fix it or issue a refund through Pay Pal.

Thank you!

-Brandon

Martin Wasner
01-23-2016, 9:57 PM
Not common, I have heard of it happening and that's it, but is the breaker good? Worst case you can pull the motor and have someone bench test it and trouble shoot the problem.

Ronald Blue
01-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Maybe do a check of the current draw from having the relief valve open to slowly closing it. See if it is truly exceeding 40 amps. Is this 3 phase? The amperage seems like it has to be.

Mike Heidrick
01-23-2016, 11:03 PM
Do you have a pressure relief valve and a right angle solberg filter - this is not the valve for atmosphere in your table manifold. These are pressure relief valves under spring tension sold by the regn blower vac manuf. Fpz makes the one i installed.

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2016, 5:16 PM
Hi Brandon, regenerative blowers need a relief valve (pressure type or vacuum type) depending upon whether they are a pressure or vacuum assembly.

What is the rated vacuum of your blower? Try partially closing the relief valve so you don't exceed rated vacuum and then measure the current on at the motor.

It sounds like you're overloading it with too much vacuum...........Regards, Rod.

Brandon Bonenfant
01-24-2016, 8:11 PM
Thankfully there is a local distrbuter that told us they can test it for us. Sadly, the parts that can cause this issue range from $100 - $1500, so we'll take it there on Thursday and hope for the best!

Brandon Bonenfant
01-24-2016, 8:14 PM
This pump actually has a built in converter to transition our 220V 2 phase power to the needed 3 Phase, I've tried slowly closing the system and once closed it bogs down and blows the breaker. The breaker is also brand new and we tested two separate breakers. It may be the built in release valve causing the issue, but it is all welded together with no way to access it without cutting through the steel of the exterior piping. (trying to avoid damaging the system and voiding the return policy)

Brandon Bonenfant
01-24-2016, 8:16 PM
Yes, there is a built in relief valve under spring tension. Sadly it is enclosed with no way to access it without cutting through the exterior metal piping(pipes and joints are all welded together)

Kevin Jenness
01-25-2016, 4:05 AM
Are you sure you have the correct amperage breaker? A 10 hp motor will typically draw close to 50 amps from a single phase source.