PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt track saw

Bill Ryall
01-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I know... Another track saw thread.

I recently bit the bullet and got a Dewalt track saw. Other than some test cuts in scrap ply, today was the first day I really put it to use. I had to knock down what seems like several acres of plywood for a big studio furniture job. Before, it would be lay out slightly oversize, measure the offset for the cutting guide, cut with the circular saw, take it over to the table saw and trim to final size.

Now, it is layout to size, drop the track in place, cut, assemble. I figure 2 of these jobs and it will have paid for itself in labor/time savings alone. I knew it would be a benefit and a time saver, I just didn't realize how much.

WHY WHY WHY didn't I do this years ago?!

It won't replace the table saw, but for a small shop like mine that does a lot of sheet good work it is fantastic.

Art Mann
01-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Congratulations! I got a Makita track saw and I'm sure they are similar. Prior to getting the track saw, I used a circular saw and home made saw guide for many years. The results of the new saw were better than I had hoped. Worth every penney.

Mike Cutler
01-24-2016, 9:04 AM
Bill

Congrat's on the new saw, they're great for a person that works primarily alone.
It's good to hear that it works well for you.

Rich Engelhardt
01-24-2016, 9:57 AM
WHY WHY WHY didn't I do this years ago?!
Maybe we should start some kind of rating system?
1.) Why?
2.) Why? Why?
3.) Why? Why? Why?

;).
I felt the same way about my brad nailer. Why did I wait so long?
I felt similar with my pocket hole jig Why, Why did I wait so long?

I can understand completely the Why, Why, Why? for the track saw.
Plus, if you think it's great now, wait until you come up against one of those issues that would have otherwise stymied you, that are now mindlessly easy to do with a track saw.
I'm been very tempted to start responding to threads and say, "If you had a track saw, we wouldn't be having this discussion". So far I haven't because I'm afraid it would be taken wrong. I'd like to do it just to point out that a track saw is more than a way to break down sheet goods.

Robyn Horton
01-24-2016, 9:57 AM
A track saw is a Great addition to any shop , I got a Dewalt a couple years ago works good and the price was right . One thing to keep in mind Bill is too wax your tracks once in awhile with this... Butcher's Bowling Alley Clear Paste Wax makes the saw down the track smooth, you can actually feel the difference after using it :)

Jim Dwight
01-24-2016, 7:44 PM
I like my Dewalt track saw too. I have the 102, 59, and 41 inch tracks. I much prefer cutting up sheet goods with it as opposed to the table saw. I also like straightening the edge of boards. I still have and use a table saw but I do not need big rip capacity any more. Better to move the saw than the wood on big pieces, solid or sheet.

Steven Powell
01-24-2016, 8:01 PM
Love mine also. Found that it is also great for straightening one edge of my larger/heavier rough cut lumber before running it through the table saw to get it to jointer width.

Bill Stephenson
01-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Bought my Dewalt track saw about 6 months ago, cutting directly to size as you are and much more safely than I used to do. I bought 3 folding horses and a sheet of solid insulation at the big box store. Pop out the horses, set the solid insulation on top,set the ply on top of the insulation, set the saw depth to cut just barely into the insulation and cut away. I like the saw and really like that the depth settings include the base of the saw. I bought a 102 "track and two 59" tracks cut 18" off one 59"track & mounted it to the 102" track permanently with the Dewalt connectors to give me a 120"track so I start & end the cut with both guides in the track. That left me with a 41" track & a 59" track as well, this covers just about all cuts. Saw dust collection is great hooked up to a vac, a Bosch hose fits my Rigid vac and connects perfectly to the Dewalt. (a cheap non ferrous metal blade will cut the track on your table saw perfectly straight.) Enjoy your saw.

Ben Rivel
01-24-2016, 11:54 PM
Another DeWalt owner here, they are awesome! Track saws IMO are a must have.

Jake Elkins
01-25-2016, 12:51 AM
Where are the Dewalt and Makita made? I seem to remember Czech and UK, respectively, when they first came out? I just hope I can afford to buy one before they are farmed out to China.

Michael Alu
01-25-2016, 1:44 PM
I have the chance to get a used Makita track saw with two 55" rails for under $300. This saw was used by a hobby woodworker and has not been abused. Just debating if I should jump on this deal or save up for a Festool or DeWalt as I have never had the chance to use a track saw before. Any opinions?

Mike Hollingsworth
01-25-2016, 1:51 PM
There are so many instances where I'd rather not run a finished piece over the top of a table saw. This is where this type of saw shines.

Greg R Bradley
01-25-2016, 2:29 PM
I have the chance to get a used Makita track saw with two 55" rails for under $300. This saw was used by a hobby woodworker and has not been abused. Just debating if I should jump on this deal or save up for a Festool or DeWalt as I have never had the chance to use a track saw before. Any opinions?
I have both a Makita and Festool TS55. They are very similar except Makita has no riving knife or off side anti-splinter. If the Makita is absolutely like new with everything it came with plus 2 tracks and connectors, it might be worth $300, probably slightly less. Only Festool has crazy good resale.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-25-2016, 4:16 PM

I purchased my Dewalt at a super price on Amazon when they had this really nice deal.

I hear mostly good things about all three. There are advantages and disadvantages to all them them. Be careful with some of the older reviews, since I think that a few years ago Makita did introduce a newer model (but I could be mistaken, just that I had heard that they did).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175043-Tracksaw-can-t-decide-between-Makita-and-Festool
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203421-Makita-track-saw

Here is a rather new post about the Makita

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233664-Makita-Track-Saw-Review
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?214938-Makita-Tracksaw-Question

Andrew Pitonyak
01-25-2016, 4:17 PM
Hey bill, I LOVE mine. I also use it when I need a straight edge on a long board. It is the fastest way I know to do that (providing the track saw is setup and ready to go).

Hoang N Nguyen
01-25-2016, 4:22 PM
Not trying to start a debate but I have the Festool tracksaw and love mine. I'm sure the dewalt is great as well and hope it serves you well for years to come.

Michael Alu
01-25-2016, 4:23 PM
I have both a Makita and Festool TS55. They are very similar except Makita has no riving knife or off side anti-splinter. If the Makita is absolutely like new with everything it came with plus 2 tracks and connectors, it might be worth $300, probably slightly less. Only Festool has crazy good resale.

He does have the connectors for the two rails. He is asking $300, but I know he will come off the price. I could probably get it for $250. I will be using this mostly for sheet goods, but occasionally for a straight line rip on some hardwoods.

Greg R Bradley
01-25-2016, 5:51 PM
He does have the connectors for the two rails. He is asking $300, but I know he will come off the price. I could probably get it for $250. I will be using this mostly for sheet goods, but occasionally for a straight line rip on some hardwoods.
The saw in systainer plus 2 rails and connectors is well worth $250 in excellent shape. Probably actually worth the $300 but in reality any but the Festool take the normal price hit from new to used so he isn't likely to find another buyer so easily.
I've never used a tracksaw ripping hardwood so really can't comment on the lack of a riving knife.

Jim Becker
01-25-2016, 8:12 PM
Even though I have a shop full of really nice tools, including a sliding table saw, my track saw gets some use from time to time to do things that would be impossible with stationary tools. That with some occasional home improvement advantages thrown in makes for a happy woodworker. :)

Bill Stephenson
01-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Bob D.
The hose connection on my DeWalt track saw does rotate, the fit is snug and yours may just be a little tight.
As I stated above I added a 20" extension on my 102" track, I only used the one connector.I had to fiddle with the connector and lightly file the joint on the track. When all was straight & the saw moved over the joint soothly I locked up the screws. I do not take the track apart and am careful how I handle it, It has ben working fine and I don't have to make any adjustments to the joint, just put the saw on & go. I also use a little paraffin wax to help it glide along the track. Yes I agree two keys would be better but most of the tracks only use one key.Seems like a multi million dollar corp. could come up with a little more imgination.