PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Tool Rests?

Jeff Ranck
01-23-2016, 10:08 AM
I think I've had it with the grinder tool rests that came with my grinder. They are uneven, not square, and basically junk. So I've about convinced myself to move to some sort of aftermarket. I know Derek has a tormak setup on his dry grinder. What to other folks use? I've done a quick search and cannot seem to find some threads I seem to vaguely remember.

Jim Koepke
01-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Wow, it doesn't seem like it has been over two years since making this:

For commercial after market tool rests you might look through the Turner's Forum.

jtk

Patrick Chase
01-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I think I've had it with the grinder tool rests that came with my grinder. They are uneven, not square, and basically junk. So I've about convinced myself to move to some sort of aftermarket. I know Derek has a tormak setup on his dry grinder. What to other folks use? I've done a quick search and cannot seem to find some threads I seem to vaguely remember.

I use Veritas rests (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43072,45938&p=32973) on just about everything now, though I have one wheel set up with both a Veritas test and the Tormek grinder HW (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67110&cat=1,43072,67090,67093). The Tormek rod tucks under the tool rest when not in use.

David Eisenhauer
01-23-2016, 11:14 AM
I believe the thread you remember came in the one where Derrick describes his Tormek setup (or latter discuses it again). I seem to remember several folks responding that the Veritas one works well for them, others using a Wolverine rest and, finally, a couple using something else with a brand name starting perhaps with an "S" (?) Someone's last name I believe. As Jim said, I believe this info mostly came from the turning guys.

Jim Koepke
01-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Did an SMC search > grinder tool rests < that even showed up the one I couldn't find earlier:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?209226-Shop-Made-Tool-Rest

If you use Dr. Google > grinder tool rest site:www.sawmillcreek.org <

There is a lot to see.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
01-23-2016, 11:43 AM
I like my Stuart Batty (SB) designed tool rest. The SB rests are designed for turners. It seems to me that turners have been ahead of "flat" woodworkers, in terms of using grinding equipment, due to their constant need to sharpen harder steels. When I bought my rest it was a hard decision for me as it was starting to look like these rests might not be manufactured in the future. Apparently whatever issues stood in the way of making more of these rests they have been resolved. Woodworkers Emporium stocks several different models and parts. One part may be of particular interest, for $25, one can obtain an adapter for the Oneway Wolverine system allowing the SB rest to be fitted to it. I have the rest with the rounded outside edge which I find helpful for grinding curved shapes. I see they offer a rest with a slide in it and options regarding the notch in the wheel : 1" (for stones) or 2" ( for CBN wheels). So they are continuing to offer more and better parts for these rests.

These are very sturdy rests that are easily set at accurate angles with the SB Angle Gauge. The Tormek rest offers lots of jigs to go with it which are not available, yet, for the SB rest. I have not found a need for the additional jigs yet though. The SB rest seems to me to offer more utility with the one product and no jigs. The Tormek bar, just being a bar, seems to require the use of jigs. Although the SB rest is not cheap I think it is a good value, sturdier than the LV offering or the Tormek. I think it is a good option for "flat" & green wood woodworkers.

Matthew N. Masail
01-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Another vote for the Veritas, I love mine.

Tom M King
01-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Veritas for me too. You might be surprised how stiff, and rigid it is. It does not budge, and is easy to adjust. I use the Batty gauges to set it by.

Mike Holbrook
01-23-2016, 2:01 PM
I am currently using the Veritas rest on the second wheel on my grinder. As mentioned above it is a viable, solid option. The issue I have with it is once I removed enough material so a CBN wheel would fit in it, I was left with a relatively small rest compared to the SB. I bought the LV offering largely for the sliding table that comes with it, thinking it would help sharpen plane blades. Thus far, I prefer guiding plane blades over the wheels by hand. I was surprised at the accuracy I could achieve by hand without any sort of jig. If I can minimize parts/jigs/adjustments and do it by hand/feel I usually prefer that option.

There is also a rest made by Robo Hippy, who posts on these forms fairly often (typically the turners forum), which quite a few people like. A search on the turners forum should turn Robo & his rest up.

Jim Ritter
01-23-2016, 4:29 PM
I have the Veritas grinder rest but found it frustrating, so I came up with this so I could use all my Tormek jigs. It's just replaces the original table. It works great, on the tools that need a lot of work it goes fast with the hand grinder then goes right over to the Tormek for finishing.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/177f78b2be9da0dbf863a5e5d6eb5f6f_zpss1e95sbu.jpg

jim

Mike Holbrook
01-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Nice Jim! I tried buying a used hand grinder. Unfortunately the one I got turned out to have a weird arbor I could not get wheels for. I have been thinking of revisiting that idea. Talk about your variable speed grinder! I was wondering about mounting a CBN wheel on one, wondering if anyone had tried that yet? Very innovative Jim.

Jim Koepke
01-24-2016, 2:20 AM
I tried buying a used hand grinder. Unfortunately the one I got turned out to have a weird arbor I could not get wheels for. I have been thinking of revisiting that idea.

It should be possible to get a bushing or adaptor to fit snugly between the arbor and the wheel. It is a common solution to arbor and wheel mismatches.

jtk

Don Dorn
01-24-2016, 12:19 PM
I did this video for a couple people in our woodworking club. For me, it's inexpensive, effective and very fast. I guess it could be applied to a hand grinder but it would make it a much longer operation.

http://vid111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/djdorn/Grindingplaneironto25degrees_zpse6a3bd46.mp4

Bart Nadeau
01-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Don-
Now that's a nifty jig and method. Thanks for posting.

Pat Barry
01-24-2016, 1:05 PM
I did this video for a couple people in our woodworking club. For me, it's inexpensive, effective and very fast. I guess it could be applied to a hand grinder but it would make it a much longer operation.

http://vid111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/djdorn/Grindingplaneironto25degrees_zpse6a3bd46.mp4.
Very nice - thanks for posting this

John K Jordan
01-24-2016, 1:41 PM
Maybe someone already mentioned this, but a lot of people like the rest that Reed Gray (Robo Hippy) makes and sells. I don't have one but I'm thinking of it.

http://www.robohippy.net/store/robo-rest-f-free-standing
\http://www.robohippy.net/store/robo-rest-ow-oneway-compatible

I use the Tormek and the Oneway Wolverine rests.

JKJ

Jeff Ranck
01-24-2016, 1:58 PM
I did this video for a couple people in our woodworking club.

I've heard of people using a pipe for a rest, but I could never wrap my brain around how that would work without seeing it. Thanks for posting that!

Jeff.

Jeff Ranck
01-24-2016, 1:59 PM
I have the Veritas grinder rest but found it frustrating, so I came up with this so I could use all my Tormek jigs. It's just replaces the original table. It works great, on the tools that need a lot of work it goes fast with the hand grinder then goes right over to the Tormek for finishing.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/177f78b2be9da0dbf863a5e5d6eb5f6f_zpss1e95sbu.jpg

jim

So that is ingenious.

Todd Davidson
01-24-2016, 2:11 PM
This one from Grizzly looks interesting (and rather inexpensive): http://www.grizzly.com/products/Optional-Heavy-Duty-Tool-Rest/G8987

Jim Koepke
01-24-2016, 2:32 PM
I've heard of people using a pipe for a rest, but I could never wrap my brain around how that would work without seeing it. Thanks for posting that!

Jeff.

The Veritas Mk.ll Power Sharpening System has a guide bar for the tool holders:

Here it is shown without an abrasive disk mounted. I often use the bar as a tool rest for working on gouges and the occasional flat blade.

On this system the bar can be adjusted up or down to set the bevel angle in relation to the tool holder.

jtk

Patrick Chase
01-24-2016, 5:42 PM
One last thought: IMO consistency between machines is important.

I've accumulated a total of 6 grinding locations (4 on a pair of 2-wheel grinders, 2 more on belt sanders). All of the grinders/sanders are mounted to bases for portability, as I have limited bench space and they live on shelves. Because I've standardized on the Veritas rests I've drilled and inserted (1/4-20 inserts) all 6 locations to accept them. I've also built drilled/inserted platforms for the Tormek grinder HW on one wheel of each grinder. I have no idea if the Veritas is the "best" rest but it works for me and it would be a pain in the a** if I couldn't move them around easily.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying: There are lots of great options out there, so just pick one (or two if you must :-) and standardize on it.

Roger Feeley
01-25-2016, 5:04 PM
Todd, it looks a lot like the Veritas. Do those stamped sheet metal bars between base and the rest appear a bit flimsy to you?

steven c newman
01-25-2016, 6:00 PM
Don't have the big bucks for a store bought one...soo
Remade mine into a little bit better one. Just a block of wood, bolted to the old rest. I can even use a "slider"
tp get a straighter edge as needed. 6" Craftsman Grinder, has been around for awhile..

Jeff Ranck
01-25-2016, 7:00 PM
. Just a block of wood, bolted to the old rest.

Ok, now that is something I would have never thought of. Making a "new" rest by bolting/attaching a better "surface" to the old rest.

Very cool.

Jeff Ranck
01-25-2016, 7:03 PM
This one from Grizzly looks interesting (and rather inexpensive): http://www.grizzly.com/products/Optional-Heavy-Duty-Tool-Rest/G8987

So I wonder what that is made out of? I remember a thread (that I can't find now) where people were saying that rests made out of aluminum could end up with embedded steel particles that could be problematic. That is one of the things that makes me think twice about a veritas rest.

Jeff.

Mark Baldwin III
01-25-2016, 9:18 PM
So I wonder what that is made out of? I remember a thread (that I can't find now) where people were saying that rests made out of aluminum could end up with embedded steel particles that could be problematic. That is one of the things that makes me think twice about a veritas rest.

Jeff.

I think the anodizing of the Veritas rest helps stop the embedding of steel particles. I have one and like it. Although it is designed to fit around a 1" wide grinding wheel, I've used it in conjunction with a 2" grinding belt with satisfactory results. I'm rubbish with a standard grinding wheel, and I've decided that belt grinding is the way for me!
For comparison..My shop made knife fixture, which is not anodized, needs constant attention to keep scratching of blades to a minimum. I'm a novice knife maker, so still learning...but I like my knife rests, despite the scratching issue.

Patrick Chase
01-25-2016, 9:19 PM

Jeff.

That seems.... speculative.

For one thing the Veritas rest has a pretty thick layer of anodization which would tend to resist any embedding of that sort. For another I've never seen that with mine, and never head a report (as opposed to hypothetsizing) of that happening.

Jeff Ranck
01-26-2016, 11:44 AM
That seems.... speculative.

For one thing the Veritas rest has a pretty thick layer of anodization which would tend to resist any embedding of that sort. For another I've never seen that with mine, and never head a report (as opposed to hypothetsizing) of that happening.

Could be and I have absolutely no reason to know as I've never used one nor owned one. It is just something that I remember from a thread a long while ago. For all I know I'm not even remembering correctly. I have a very good memory. It is just very short.