PDA

View Full Version : Ezcad and file prep.

Neville Stewart
01-23-2016, 9:07 AM
My method of preparing this file to engrave was pretty laborious and clunky considering ezcad isn't exactly a smooth operating interface. It consists of import vectors, select, cull, group and give a value. Is any body doing it in Corel so that you can just select the grouped portions and then give values to them when imported? When I export or save as in Corel I'm just seeing all the vectors in ezcad and I have to do the picking/culling in there. TIA. Neville PS. This was my first attempt at hatching, I have since figured out how to achieve a smooth floor on aluminum.

Keith Winter
01-23-2016, 3:05 PM
Wow that looks great! And you did it with a 30w fiber.... How long did it take to get it that deep into the metal?

Neville Stewart
01-23-2016, 4:02 PM
I cant remember exactly as I was practicing with it, but it couldnt have been more than 10 mins altogether.

Neville Stewart
01-23-2016, 7:05 PM
The problem is I'm importing vector drawings from Corel, and Ive tried to export, save as and publish to anything I can, the issue is when I open in Ezcad I see the entire wireframe like collection of overlapping vectors and of course, you cant hatch that. Similar to using a file like that for a cnc, the bit would run through all the other vectors.

William Adams
01-24-2016, 8:31 AM
When I did similar files, I would break everything up into different layers in the drawing program, the export the layers into individual files — you should be able to script that, or use an AutoHotKey macro.

Neville Stewart
01-24-2016, 8:56 AM
When I did similar files, I would break everything up into different layers in the drawing program, the export the layers into individual files — you should be able to script that, or use an AutoHotKey macro.
I got this result after about 8 hours of banging my head against a wall, now to remember what I did... 1/8th 60 dg V bit for scale.

James Macleod
03-07-2016, 6:00 AM
Looks great Neville!
Me and the wife are looking for fiber lasers at the moment for her jewellry business, Would be used to mark/etch on aluminium and stainless steel pendants etc.
Do you have a link for the machine you purchased? and price?
Thanks James