PDA

View Full Version : For those who have installed Windows 10, what do you think of it?

dennis thompson
01-23-2016, 8:14 AM
It's been around a while now so I was wondering what the people who have installed Windows 10 think of it?
What would you say the advantages and disadvantages of it are?
I'm using Windows 7 and am perfectly happy with it . I am not very computer savy, to say the least, so I'm afraid to update, do you adopters think I should?
Thanks

Lee Schierer
01-23-2016, 8:35 AM
I installed it over 6 months ago on a windows 8 machine and it was head and shoulders better than windows 8. I decided across the holidays to install it on my windows 7 laptop so both computers would be the same. The download and install takes several hours. Make sure you turn off your anti virus and any other automatic start up programs before you try to upgrade. About 2 days after installing it in the laptop the windows menu button and fast start quit working. My son found me a procedure that restored that feature. Compared to windows 7 other than the rearranged menus and the fact that everything is now called an "App" I see little difference in speed. I still have to figure out how to share files between the laptop and the PC automatically since the laptop travels with us and the PC stays home. I was doing it before with the scheduler and synctoy, but they don't seem to be working right now.

Chuck Wintle
01-23-2016, 9:49 AM
It's been around a while now so I was wondering what the people who have installed Windows 10 think of it?
What would you say the advantages and disadvantages of it are?
I'm using Windows 7 and am perfectly happy with it . I am not very computer savy, to say the least, so I'm afraid to update, do you adopters think I should?
Thanks
i installed win 10 on my laptop when prompted to by the icon and my first impression was a dislike for this reinvented version of windows 7. Perhaps they will improve win 10 over time but i reverted to windows 7. i know MS is pushing windows users windows 10 for reason that are not obvious. I ask the question why are they giving the upgrade for free when previously any windows upgrade would cost money.

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2016, 9:54 AM
I've been fighting the popup window for the upgrade. I simply refuse to upgrade until I see proof that the new version is better that Windows 7 Ultimate. :)

Chuck Wintle
01-23-2016, 10:10 AM
I've been fighting the popup window for the upgrade. I simply refuse to upgrade until I see proof that the new version is better that Windows 7 Ultimate. :)

The updates can be hidden or uninstalled which is what I did to get rid of the icon etc. The following updates are responsible for getting you to the upgrade of win 10...
KB2952664
KB2976978
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB3035583
KB3044374

Jim Becker
01-23-2016, 10:12 AM
I have Win10 running in a VM on my iMac to support Quicken and it's been just fine. Professor Dr. SWMBO just received the new computer I bought her for New Years and Win10 has been great on it, too. I like it...the familiarity of Win7 for the most part, with some new things. And ANYTHING is better than Win8.x...

Al Launier
01-23-2016, 10:20 AM
I originally signed up for the free W10 last July (I think) and I think(?) the free version offer is good for a year. So, I am going to wait until just before the offer expires (June) before I update my W8.1 to W10. I'm hoping any & all bugs will be corrected by then. I like W8.1 so I have no immediate need to update, plus I'm not mentally ready for the update(s) & the changes that most likely will be required.

Curt Harms
01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
The main complaint I've heard about Windows 10 is that it sends a lot more information back to Microsoft than people really care for. A google search something like "how much personal information does Windows 10 send to Microsoft" will likely provide hours of entertainment. Some of it might even be factual:). I've read that 'updates' to Windows 7 & 8.1 provide similar snooping capability. I use Windows as a secondary operating system so Microsoft isn't going to learn much about me from my use of Windows. It also is not necessary to have a Microsoft account even though that fact is not real clear during the install process. Gotta read the small type.

Mike Henderson
01-23-2016, 10:56 AM
I have it on all my computers and like it. No problems at all. Of course, I liked 8.1 after I got rid of the Metro interface.

It's enough like 7 and 8 that it's easy to make the transition.

Mike

Art Mann
01-23-2016, 11:49 AM
I have Windows 10 on my new desktop and Windows 7 on the control computer for my CNC router. I like 10 almost as well as 7. As far as 8 and 8.1 go, I just don't understand why Microsoft tried to copy Google's smart phone interface for a real computer instead of enhancing the operating system that has been the most popular of all time.

Brian Henderson
01-23-2016, 2:47 PM
I refuse to update to any version of Windows until after at least the first service pack, every single one has been a buggy mess and from what I've seen of 10, it's no different. No one I know who has upgraded has reported that it's significantly better than 7 and I never upgraded to any version of 8 at all. If it isn't a significant improvement, why bother upgrading at all?

Mike Henderson
01-23-2016, 3:12 PM
I refuse to update to any version of Windows until after at least the first service pack, every single one has been a buggy mess and from what I've seen of 10, it's no different. No one I know who has upgraded has reported that it's significantly better than 7 and I never upgraded to any version of 8 at all. If it isn't a significant improvement, why bother upgrading at all?
The main reason you generally have to upgrade is because MS will no longer support the older version. And that's important for security updates.

Mike

Bruce Page
01-23-2016, 3:29 PM
Dennis, see post 26 here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?239304-MS-Windows-10-Nag&highlight=
It worked for me.

Brian Henderson
01-23-2016, 5:38 PM
The main reason you generally have to upgrade is because MS will no longer support the older version. And that's important for security updates.

But by the time that finally happens, the new OS is generally stable enough to make the transition. Windows 7 will be supported for many years to come.

David Masters
01-23-2016, 5:48 PM
Just picked up a laptop for my wife which has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm still getting use to it as I set it up for her. My first impression is that I am annoyed by the changes, but I expect this will pass. Most annoying is that the Metro tiles show up when I press the Start button. I'll have to see if there is a way around this.

Dave

Bill Orbine
01-23-2016, 5:48 PM
My biggest concerns are software application upgrades for Windows 10. Some software companies aren't/can't modify pre-Windows 10 application and seems like I would be force to buy new software. I'm already looking at more than $1000 possible for upgrades unless there's some patch or ability for Windows 10 to run in older formats.

Allan Speers
01-23-2016, 5:51 PM
As a power user (Audio / video professional) I absolutely LOVE Win10.

They've gotten rid of all the bloat that Win8 had, and made it very easy to customize the GUI, so guys like me don't have to wade through all that "Mom & Pop" and "connect all your mobile devices!" nonsense. I now prefer my windows machines to my beloved Mac Pro. In fact, I may never buy another Mac, except to have a cheap one for (more safely) using the internet.

Win10 is also vastly more efficient, having significantly less DPC latency than even Win7. - Except for the new LAN driver, which is a nightmare and should immediately be replaced with a Win7 - era version.

Paul McGaha
01-23-2016, 7:29 PM
I'm sticking with Windows 7. I like it, I'm used to it.

PHM

Lee Schierer
01-23-2016, 11:31 PM
My biggest concerns are software application upgrades for Windows 10. Some software companies aren't/can't modify pre-Windows 10 application and seems like I would be force to buy new software. I'm already looking at more than $1000 possible for upgrades unless there's some patch or ability for Windows 10 to run in older formats.

I'm running several older programs and so far they work just fine in Windows 10, one is from 2009, two were last updated in 2010 another is from 2011.

Curt Harms
01-24-2016, 8:22 AM
I refuse to update to any version of Windows until after at least the first service pack,

You may be waiting a long time. For now, Microsoft is no longer doing service packs. Fixes, patches & upgrades are installed as they're deemed ready. There was a honkin' big update a couple weeks ago that some regard as a service pack.

Rich Engelhardt
01-24-2016, 8:26 AM
I liked 7, but, chances are I'm going to outlive support for 7.
I installed 10 because I doubt I'll outlive support for 10.

(although events of 2016 so far lead me to think I may have erred about outliving 7...... 2016 hasn't been kind to me so far.)

I refuse to update to any version of Windows until after at least the first service pack,
Then go ahead and upgrade.
MS already had the massive update that would qualify as a service pack back in November.

Pat Barry
01-24-2016, 8:35 AM
Whats not to like. In my opinion its a vast improvement over 8 and far better than any other version of Windows.

Jim Becker
01-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Just picked up a laptop for my wife which has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm still getting use to it as I set it up for her. My first impression is that I am annoyed by the changes, but I expect this will pass. Most annoying is that the Metro tiles show up when I press the Start button. I'll have to see if there is a way around this.

Dave

You can easily delete the tiles...

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Most annoying is that the Metro tiles show up when I press the Start button. I'll have to see if there is a way around this.

You can also spend $3 for Start is Back, and get a Windows 7 like Start menu. I use it in 8.1, and it's great.

Jason Roehl
01-24-2016, 5:55 PM
I'm sticking with Windows 7. I like it, I'm used to it.

PHM

I finally caved and did the Win10 upgrade on my laptop, previously running Win7 Home Premium, and I really don't notice any difference. I'd say it's a bit quicker in coming out of sleep/hibernation, which is a definite plus. And this is on a 6-ish year old laptop with one foot in the grave.

Duane Meadows
01-24-2016, 9:29 PM
I have upgraded 6 windows 7 systems to win 10. Not going to go back to 7 on any of them. Quite happy with 10, and have had no unresolved issues! A bit of a learning curve, but no worse than any other upgrade I,ve seen. Way less problems then 8 was.

Allan Speers
01-24-2016, 10:29 PM

Dave

Just right-click and delete the ones you don't want.