PDA

View Full Version : Short but sturdy laboratory cabinet

John TenEyck
01-22-2016, 7:42 PM
A former colleague contacted me if I was interested in making a cabinet to sit under a new universal test machine in the laboratory. Sure. So I designed this cabinet, shown with a general view of the test machine on top.

Here is the finished cabinet.

I made it from 8/4 hard maple joined with 1/2" loose tenons and 1/2" plywood panels glued into the sides and back. The drawer fronts are hard maple, also, while the drawer boxes are 1/2" BB plywood with 1/2" bottoms, and they slide on K&V soft close, side mounted slides.

The top was two layers of 3/4" plywood covered with Formica.

The finish is Sealcoat shellac on the drawer boxes, followed by GF's EnduroVar. The cabinet was finished with 2 coats of BIN white shellac primer then two coats of GF's Enduro White Poly. It was the first time I've used the Enduro White Poly. I sprayed it with a pressure feed HVLP gun and it came out great. Heavy duty leveling feet and SS pulls completed the cabinet.

John

Mike Ontko
02-16-2016, 4:51 PM
Nice and clean, John. Perfect for a lab, and the EnduroVar should make it near bullet proof. Are those finger joints for on the front of the drawer case? Did you use a custom jig for that?

John TenEyck
02-25-2016, 7:14 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks. Yes, those are finger joints. I use them a lot when I make drawers out of Baltic birch ply. I cut them on my TS with a simple sled I made and a stacked dado.

They are fast to make and very strong. One great advantage to them is you cut the parts to the width and length of the drawer box (plus maybe 1/32") and not have to worry about doing any calculations.

John