PDA

View Full Version : what finish for project painted white?

doug barr
01-22-2016, 7:36 PM
I have a project painted with white acrylic paint and want a glossy finish. I understand oil based poly will yellow or ember....would a water based poly work or a lacquer. any other ideas ?
thanks
Doug

Jim Becker
01-22-2016, 9:17 PM
You are correct that an oil based clear coat is going to yellow to some extent, the amount varies with the product formula. Water borne clear is generally "clear", but you're putting two dissimilar finishes together which isn't necessarily the best idea. Do not use solvent based lacquer for this...it will likely craze the acrylic. (and it's not a very safe product to use unless you have a proper finishing environment with appropriate ventilation, etc.)

Why not just use an appropriate white finish with the sheen you want? For white, my "go to" is Sherwin Williams ProClassic Acrylic if I'm brushing or rolling. Gloss is available. Alternatively, I'm liking Benjamin Moore Advance for a nice hard finish and it's also available in gloss, if I'm not mistaken. I also like Target Coatings EM6500 which is 100% compatible with their gloss EM6000.

Frederick Skelly
01-23-2016, 7:49 AM
You are correct that an oil based clear coat is going to yellow to some extent, the amount varies with the product formula. Water borne clear is generally "clear", but you're putting two dissimilar finishes together which isn't necessarily the best idea. Do not use solvent based lacquer for this...it will likely craze the acrylic. (and it's not a very safe product to use unless you have a proper finishing environment with appropriate ventilation, etc.)

Why not just use an appropriate white finish with the sheen you want? For white, my "go to" is Sherwin Williams ProClassic Acrylic if I'm brushing or rolling. Gloss is available. Alternatively, I'm liking Benjamin Moore Advance for a nice hard finish and it's also available in gloss, if I'm not mistaken. I also like Target Coatings EM6500 which is 100% compatible with their gloss EM6000.

+1. Jim's right, Doug. Use a fine sandpaper or steel wood to rough up the existing white paint and add one more coat of high gloss white acryllic.

Scott Holmes
01-23-2016, 8:34 PM
Steel wool is a BAD IDEA... an shard of steel wool left behind will RUST in your finish. Steel wool is best reserved for buffing or rubbing out a finish AFTER the final coat and appropriate cure/dry time.

Frederick Skelly
01-23-2016, 8:43 PM
Steel wool is a BAD IDEA... an shard of steel wool left behind will RUST in your finish. Steel wool is best reserved for buffing or rubbing out a finish AFTER the final coat and appropriate cure/dry time.

Oh crap. You're right, as usual, Scott. I forgot acryllic is water-based. I was thinking of oil-based paint and finishes, where I have used steel wool successfully without rust. Sorry folks.

Jim Becker
01-24-2016, 10:06 AM
There are alternative materials to steel wool constructed from man-made materials. :)

Frederick Skelly
01-24-2016, 11:33 AM
There are alternative materials to steel wool constructed from man-made materials. :)

Thanks Jim. Yes. I recently used some synthetic steel wool with water-based poly and it worked fine. It reminded me of a very loosely woven scotch-brite pad. I liked the product.