PDA

View Full Version : Brief review: Utilitas Hook Rules from LV

Frederick Skelly
01-22-2016, 6:41 PM
I recently bought a set of 3 hook rules from LV and made by Utilitas Tool Works (made in china of course). They were $30 for the set. I'd previously purchased their 6" hook rule and liked it so much I decided to buy the complete set of 3, which included (another) 6", a 12" and an 18" hook rule.

The rules are about 1/16" thick stainless. The gradations are in 16ths, etched on each side of the rule and then painted. On one side, zero starts at the hook and on the other side, the 18" (or 6" or 12") mark starts at the hook. The latter allows zero to start at the squared end for times when that's handy. I REALLY like this feature. (I don't know if this is normal on hook rules or not.) The hook works well and non-hook end is square.

Personally, I dont like measuring devices that are graded in 64's of an inch - I just don't need that for the things I build, so I find such distracting. And I can easily judge the half-way point between each gradation, allowing me to measure 32's of an inch well enough.

I really like this product - perhaps even more than I like the 2" wide red ones I bought from woodpeckers last year at about 3 times the price. We'll see which ones I reach for most often in the coming months. Anyway, at $30, these were a nice set for a good price.

Best regards,
Fred

Patrick Chase
01-22-2016, 7:23 PM
I recently bought a set of 3 hook rules from LV and made by Utilitas Tool Works (made in china of course). They were $30 for the set. I'd previously purchased their 6" hook rule and liked it so much I decided to buy the complete set of 3, which included (another) 6", a 12" and an 18" hook rule.

The rules are about 1/16" thick stainless. The gradations are in 16ths, etched on each side of the rule and then painted. On one side, zero starts at the hook and on the other side, the 18" (or 6" or 12") mark starts at the hook. The latter allows zero to start at the squared end for times when that's handy. I REALLY like this feature. (I don't know if this is normal on hook rules or not.) The hook works well and non-hook end is square.

Personally, I dont like measuring devices that are graded in 64's of an inch - I just don't need that for the things I build, so I find such distracting. And I can easily judge the half-way point between each gradation, allowing me to measure 32's of an inch well enough.

I really like this product - perhaps even more than I like the 2" wide red ones I bought from woodpeckers last year at about 3 times the price. We'll see which ones I reach for most often in the coming months. Anyway, at $30, these were a nice set for a good price.

Best regards,
Fred

In case anybody here doesn't know: "Utilitas" is the down-market sister brand to "Veritas", that LV uses for stuff that doesn't meet their criteria for the premium brand. One of those criteria is "made in North America". Another is that it has to be a novel design as opposed to a copy of a historical one.

Frederick Skelly
01-22-2016, 7:50 PM
In case anybody here doesn't know: "Utilitas" is the down-market sister brand to "Veritas", that LV uses for stuff that doesn't meet their criteria for the premium brand. One of those criteria is "made in North America". Another is that it has to be a novel design as opposed to a copy of a historical one.

Nope, hadn't heard any of that. But premium or not, they're still nice rules, friend.
Best,
Fred

Patrick Chase
01-22-2016, 9:08 PM
Nope, hadn't heard any of that. But premium or not, they're still nice rules, friend.
Best,
Fred

Yep, I have plenty of "Utilitas" stuff and it's uniformly good. I didn't mean that as a critique, just explanation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.