PDA

View Full Version : I Love a Good Sharp Cheddar

Jim Koepke
01-22-2016, 5:17 PM
On our last visit to Costco, a friend calls it Costmo, one of the items being offered for sampling was this Cheddar cheese. It was delicious. The woman kept encouraging me to have another sample even as I was taking a package from the shelf.

This cheese has a nice smooth texture.

We do not get to Costco often but one of my favorite parts about shopping there is the sampling of things I may not have tried before.

jtk

Ole Anderson
01-22-2016, 5:25 PM
If you like sharp cheddar, you need to visit Pinconning MI some time. Hey I see you are in WA. We visited a big dairy coop on our travels, I think around Coos Bay OR, that does a huge cheese business (senior moment, I can't remember the name). They have some great cheddar that is distributed nationally. And they have a huge visitor center.

Randy Rose
01-22-2016, 6:18 PM
Cheese I can find, however what I can`t seem to source, is the eye watering, brow sweating, real deal , Chinese mustard to go along with it....

Jim Becker
01-22-2016, 6:43 PM
I've found some very tasty cheeses at Costco. (And that's right next to the meat department which is where I very much am a patron) There have been some other real finds there. For example, about once a year they have some incredible pirogies available. One taste of the sample and you're putting bags in your cart. Same for some varieties of asian dumplings. Restaurant quality.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2016, 7:11 PM
If you like sharp cheddar, you need to visit Pinconning MI some time. Hey I see you are in WA. We visited a big dairy coop on our travels, I think around Coos Bay OR, that does a huge cheese business (senior moment, I can't remember the name). They have some great cheddar that is distributed nationally. And they have a huge visitor center.

Ole....was it Tillamook brand cheeses? They make great cheddar white and yellow. Their ice cream is to die for....actually it's so rich in cream, it probably slows your heart beat down while you are eating!

Brett Luna
01-22-2016, 7:43 PM
The WifeŽ and I have been enjoying what we call "Cheese World" at a couple of our local Fred Meyer grocery stores. Quite the variety from hard to soft. We're hooked on the blues from Rogue Creamery (Oregon) and d'Affinois brie (goat!); Ciresa Gorgonzola is sinfully creamy; and I really like Raclette for grilled cheese sandwiches. We need to try more cheddars, though.

Jerry Bruette
01-22-2016, 10:37 PM
I like a good aged sharp cheddar too. I buy it from a cheese shop in Green Bay when I get a chance. They have some very good 14 year old cheddar. A couple years ago a cheese maker in Oconto,WI retired and when he closed shop he found a wheel of cheddar that was forgotten about in the cooler, it was 20 years old. One dealer bought the whole wheel and ended up selling it by the ounce for a very high price.

Jim Koepke
01-22-2016, 11:17 PM

Could it possibly be Tillamook?

I liked a Cajun Cheddar Bandon Cheese Company made before Tillamook bought them out and discontinued all the varieties Bandon Cheese Company offered.

jtk

Jim Koepke
01-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Cheese I can find, however what I can`t seem to source, is the eye watering, brow sweating, real deal , Chinese mustard to go along with it....

Maybe you want Wasabi Mustard. Often available in Chinese markets in larger cities.

jtk

Jim Koepke
01-22-2016, 11:20 PM
I like a good aged sharp cheddar too. I buy it from a cheese shop in Green Bay when I get a chance. They have some very good 14 year old cheddar. A couple years ago a cheese maker in Oconto,WI retired and when he closed shop he found a wheel of cheddar that was forgotten about in the cooler, it was 20 years old. One dealer bought the whole wheel and ended up selling it by the ounce for a very high price.

Wow! That stuff was likely sharp enough to cut your tongue.

jtk

Ole Anderson
01-23-2016, 1:05 AM
Tillamook it was. Thanks. I grabbed one of their empty ice cream containers and still use in in my RV as a waste basket as a reminder of our trip.

Bonnie Campbell
01-23-2016, 8:13 AM
If you like really sharp cheddar, Alma Creamery in Alma Kansas has some. It's to sharp for me though. I prefer one they put out of white cheddar called New York Sharp. That is very creamy, just not as much bite.

Ole Anderson
01-23-2016, 2:06 PM
My uncle used to co-own a ton of Hickory Farms stores in NY state back in the 1970's. Back when their mall stores were big enough to have a walk-in cooler with giant wheels of cheese. Well, he said said that the Pinconning extra sharp cheddar was too much for even him and he likened it to, well, he mentioned something about babies and diapers...

Bert Kemp
01-23-2016, 8:33 PM
Suger Bush farm in Woodstock VT makes good sharp cheddar among other things. They have a sample room where you can try all their cheeses. I'm particularly fond of their 60 month I find anything over that is to dry .

Roger Nair
01-27-2016, 2:28 PM
Randy, my solution for hot mustard is to make a paste by volume: one water to one Colman's ground mustard. It will always clear the sinus and bring a few tears. Mix what you need and have fresh mustard with your meal. Best price by far is a one pound tin from Amazon but buy a small tin at your grocer for a trial.

Prashun Patel
01-27-2016, 2:37 PM
If you have a Wegmans within driving distance, check out THEIR aged cheddar. They make a 5 year with "tears of joy" that made me fall in love with cheddar again.
Aged gouda is similarly appealing. Both get harder, nuttier, sharper and intense with time.