PDA

View Full Version : Universal M360 Issues with new computer

Stephen Sitron
01-22-2016, 1:25 PM
Hi everyone, We just purchase a new Dell computer (windows 7) to run our M360 Laser. We use Corel and we are engraving rubber for rubber stamps. Our old computer (windows xp) was using a parallel to parallel cable to the laser. We are now using usb to parallel cable because new computer only has usb ports. For some reason, some of the copy is missing when we try to engrave the rubber. Any Ideas? (This does not happen all the time)

Kev Williams
01-22-2016, 6:44 PM
That you got a USB to Parallel to work whatsoever is amazing to me, I don't know any who ever got one to work at all!

I used a USB to SERIAL, that lasted about 3 weeks before it went south, as the machine started getting garbage data. Sometimes it would work, but sometimes not. Problem is, the machine is a NH V3400 CNC engraver, and when the EP module started receiving bad data, the machine would just start engraving a straight line towards infinity, not good, especially on someone else's parts!

I'm going to assume you're having the same problem. The only fix I've found is to add a parallel port to your new computer's motherboard, IF it has PCI slots. If not, you may have to do what I've done- just use XP computers. They work great, and since they're just "work" computers, I'm more than happy...

Nicolas Silva
01-24-2016, 10:34 AM
I can't offer any help with the problem, but I would try sending just the missing copy portions of the stamp to see if it makes it to the machine. That might offer some clues.
As for a USB to Parallel, I've been using it on my M300 for 10 years without a problem and 3 computer changes. Didn't have to do anything special other than to set up
a new printer and select the USB port. it plugged and played in Win95, WinVista, & Win 7.

Bill George
01-25-2016, 8:43 AM
I was going to say I am using a USB to Parallel on my ULS machine and been doing so since June. I think it makes a difference as to what brand of cable.

Mike Null
01-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Can you install the parallel card from the XP in your new Dell to enable you to use the parallel cable?

Just noticed you're a new member. Welcome to SMC.

Brian Leavitt
01-27-2016, 4:04 PM
That you got a USB to Parallel to work whatsoever is amazing to me, I don't know any who ever got one to work at all!
I run both of my older Universals with USB to Parallel cables any they both have been working fine like this for years.

Problems can be encountered if the USB cables are too long. In that case, a USB repeater cable can help as it boosts the signal. I use repeater cables along with USB to Parallel converters for my lasers, one of which is approximately a 20' USB cable run away from the computer. Too long for a regular USB cable.

matt zabel
01-28-2016, 9:12 PM
I also have an M-360, USB to parallel, and haven't had issues with the connection. I even have an extension on the USB cord to add a few extra feet. Does the problem happen with different jobs? Occasionally I have issues when engraving and cutting - the engraving will work but it will skip the vector cut. Then if I hide or remove the engraving layer and resend the job, the vector parts will cut.

-matt.
ULS M360
Adobe Illustrator
Windows10