PDA

View Full Version : thin mdf

Mike Null
01-22-2016, 11:19 AM
I have need of thin sheets of mdf. I'm not looking for full sheets but half would be ok. 1/16", 1/10", 1/8". Would appreciate any direction. I know Georgia Pacific makes it but I can't get an answer from them as to who might be a dealer.

Randy Red Bemont
01-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Would hardboard work for you? That is readily available from most sheet goods dealers. I've only purchased mdf down to 1/4" thickness.

Red

Mike Null
01-22-2016, 12:24 PM
The 1/8" hardboard would work but I need all three thicknesses I mentioned.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-22-2016, 12:28 PM
My normal distributors don't stock anything thinner than 1/8" or 3mm. Special ordering requires very large orders. I've never seen the thinner sheets you're looking for.

Bryan Cramer
01-22-2016, 1:14 PM
I haven't seen anything thinner than 1/8". Maybe thickness sand 1/8 down? That would be time consuming and very messy but doable with some coarse paper.

Art Mann
01-22-2016, 2:15 PM
I have run MDF through my planer to get 3/4 down to 5/8 inch. It worked better than I expected but produces a tremendous amount of dust. You might be able to start with 1/4" and get 1/8". I can't imagine an application for 1/16 or even 1/8 inch MDF. I would like to hear about your project if you are at liberty to describe it.

Mel Fulks
01-22-2016, 2:58 PM
The people at Georgia Pacific are the most ignorant of their own products of any I have come accross. Years back they came out with an exterior mdf called Fiberstrate . Heavily advertised it. But in our numerous calls to local suppliers and east and west coast corporate people they denied they made any such product. Any carpenter will attest to the fact that they can never set up a moulder the same way twice. If you don't find the product you need consider laminate backer sheets, laminate with the face design sanded off, or Italian bending ply.

Mike Circo
01-22-2016, 3:59 PM
Wow. 1/16 MDF. I never heard of that. Knowing my experience with the thicker versions, I'd expect 1/16 MDF to have the consistency of a cracker, and it's equivalent strength.
I too am curious as to what use you have that requires such a thin material.

Rick Lizek
01-22-2016, 4:16 PM
I know you can get it down to 1/10th". Can you saw it to thinner pieces?
What is the finished size? What are you making as there may be other options and materials to use. That would the best way to ask a question on a forum and will get you better answers.

It's unlikely you can small quantities of thinner mdf.

Brett Luna
01-22-2016, 4:28 PM
I can't say that I've seen it recently up here in Alaska but I used to see 1/8" MDF project panels at HD.

Mike Null
01-22-2016, 5:47 PM
It's for architectural models. Customer is currently sourcing from England and his supplier sent me his materials list. The customer is not picky about materials but needs to have the right dimensions.

G-P says they have it so I just need to look a little harder. http://www.buildgp.com/hardboard-thin-mdf

Thanks for your input.

Mel Fulks
01-22-2016, 6:03 PM
MOST manufacturers are able to tell potential customers who their retail outlets are and direct them to one that stocks or would order a specific product.

Peter Quinn
01-22-2016, 6:16 PM
We regularly get 1/8" MDF, I think Atlantic Plywood is our distributor on the east coast. Do they service your area?

Graham Wintersgill
01-22-2016, 6:22 PM
Mike

Would balsa wood work? Also have a look at picture frame supplies as they have many different sort of boards.

Regards

Graham

Jim Becker
01-22-2016, 6:51 PM
You may be able to get plywood products in some of those thicknesses, primarily through the hobby/modeling industry.

Mike Null
01-22-2016, 7:28 PM
Yeah

I'm going to check the hobby shops next week.

It is reasonable to expect mfrs to direct you to their dealers but G-P doesn't answer their phone.

Brett Luna
01-22-2016, 7:35 PM
You may be able to get plywood products in some of those thicknesses, primarily through the hobby/modeling industry.

Yep, Midwest Products offers craft and aircraft modeling grades of birch plywood from 1/64" to 1/2" thick in several sheet sizes: 12x12, 12x24, etc.

You might also check out some old school drafting supply stores for architectural chipboard or where you can find it by the sheet, Taskboard. The latter is available in several thicknesses up to 1/8" I think. It's flat and stable but it can be wet formed into complex curves.

Mike Null
01-22-2016, 7:43 PM
Brett

Thanks for that name. That will work if I can't find mdf. I have some chipboard and considered that as well. Just need to find the various thicknesses.

Jamie Buxton
01-22-2016, 8:14 PM
If you're willing to consider plywood, Anderson International, in Los Angeles, offers baltic birch in thicknesses as low as .4 mm. http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?WoodType=THIN-BIRCH&CATID=10&Section=ULTRATHIN&wDesc=Ultra%20Thin%20Finland%20Birch%20Plywood

Martin Wasner
01-22-2016, 10:34 PM
How much do you need?

I've ran stuff down to 1/8" in the widebelt, but I don't think mdf would survive going that thin. Just not stiff enough.

Another option would be to get 1/4", and have someone with a cnc suck it down and hit it with a fly cutter to thickness.