PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a local turners' group in SW New Hampshire

john snowdon
01-22-2016, 10:24 AM
As I live in southwest New Hampshire, for the past 4 years I have been taking turning classes that involve as much drive time as class time, hoping to find out about someone closer to my home. Attending a users' group meeting meant about 2x the drive time vs meeting time. I was paying an individual for classes but the time was very inconvenient. YouTube videos can only do so much and even this forum, which I read daily and has been my most valuable resource, can only take you so far. At last, a casual conversation with our local county extension agent led me to the Monadnock Woodturners meeting last Tuesday night in the beautiful wood shop at Keene State College.

The meeting was incredible! Twenty people of various skill levels, all together talking about wood turning, led by the head of the KSC program! They are the best kept secret in the area. No website or local meeting announcements. None of the local millwrights ever mentioned them when I asked. I wasn't even aware the college HAD a woodshop. In one 2-hour gathering I learned more about wood turning than any class I have ever taken and immediately went home and started using some of the finishing techniques Charlie demonstrated. They are about to start a website and will video all of the demos. Dues were collected that night and I happily paid my $10. That one meeting was worth 10x that to me and I already feel better working in my shop. I wish they met every week!

All of the comments on this forum suggesting newbies join a user group are absolutely correct. If, like me, you live near Keene, NH and have been struggling to find a group, the next meeting of Monadnock Woodturners will be Feb 16 at 7:00PM. Naturally, I will be out of town but from now on, the 3rd Tuesday of every month is going to be booked for this group!

Thanks to all who continue to "mentor" me on this site and for always suggesting to join a group. To list names would not be fair as there are so many of you that I look forward to reading. Your skills and willingness to help are greatly appreciated by more of us than you know!

John

Roger Chandler
01-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Glad you were able to find a group, John. Nothing like being there first hand and being mentored by more experienced turners.......it sure does shorten the learning curve and helps avoid major problems! Learning tool presentation and finishing techniques are worth their weight in gold, and then you get connected to free wood and all sorts of other benefits!