PDA

View Full Version : Jet Parallel Clamp Set Deal ???

Al Launier
01-22-2016, 9:49 AM
I just received an email advertizing this sale at a local Rockler store.

http://images.rockler.com/images/logon/2016/V2947retail_01.jpg

http://images.rockler.com/images/logon/2016/V2947retail_02.jpg
http://images.rockler.com/images/logon/2016/V2947retail_03.jpg (http://e.rockler.com/t/l?ssid=32745&subscriber_id=bidqibcdxzvdwxltdisvaqdlqzyibke&delivery_id=aqcloowynbejymwxdldhxihljmqobmd&td=impMRF7Zpfg0TmDLz6h9hAM7zhk4kbYLAf5rxT7QYXjiwy_-oPJugKSILrXOG0gB4LnE4T2ZPhLTqjjg8jrIgLuScx4ek-AXOjlvduC9PEyDcj93Smj4QyWUed_xQje3DCyKjACSryXrve6_ pIvVIrEMZ0crKY3FbGx7iwuL0gYzeDz48cY36pdak7iqADK2dC bM3r5bIvvA-3vLEnVko8cgZXMu7VIGYR)

It seems like a great deal, yet some of the reviews indicate problems with twisted bars, et. Reference this site:
http://www.rockler.com/parallel-clamp-kit-70411two-24-parallel-clamps-two-40-parallel-clamps-and-one-4-pack-of-framing-blocks#turnto-qa-content

Have any of you had problems with these clamps, or are you totally satisfied. It's about a 60 mile run for me & I don't want to waste the effort.

Would appreciate you comments. Thanks!

Dan Friedrichs
01-22-2016, 9:57 AM
The Jet parallel clamps are very good - certainly peers to the Bessy's, etc. I have a large collection of them (including some really big ones - 60"), and haven't seen any problems. And that is a very good deal - I'd certainly buy several, at that price.

For reference, here's the Amazon pricing history on those:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Jet-70411-Parallel-Clamp-Cabinet/product/B000F79022

It seems like the Jet clamps go on "crazy sale" quite often, though. I'd look up the Amazon price history.

eugene thomas
01-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Jet seems to go on sale around black Friday time. Bought 30 at 50% off.

Steve Peterson
01-22-2016, 12:32 PM
You should call ahead to make sure they have a set in stock. No point in driving 60 miles to find out that they don't have any left.

A lot of people like the Jet because of the little lever to adjust the head position. I like Jorgensen, but a lot of that is just made in the USA pride.

Steve

Jim Andrew
01-22-2016, 1:51 PM
Do the Jet clamps have wood handles? I have quite a few Jorgensen cabinet masters, and the wood handles are hard to tighten. The last ones I bought had new plastic handles that are much easier to get tight. Menards has them on sale occasionally at great prices.

glenn bradley
01-22-2016, 2:00 PM
I bought this set a while back during another sake, same price. The clamps are a bit heavy and awkward if you are used to something like the original Bessey K-Body style but, these have deeper jaws (ergo the weight) and the little trigger release thingy that (I find so annoying but, other) folks love. They are comfortable to operate once in position and the deeper jaws come in handy for a lot of things.

Cary Falk
01-22-2016, 2:54 PM
You should call ahead to make sure they have a set in stock. No point in driving 60 miles to find out that they don't have any left.

This. I called my store on Wed. They had 2 left so I bought them over the phone and going to pick them up tomorrow.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-22-2016, 4:15 PM
I like the Jets. I dislike the ability to slam my finger between the jaws of the others when the jaw slides down when you don't want it to. Or just having the jaws slam down is scary.
The other real nice feature is the measurement numbers. Set the jaws up close to the dimensions prior. A nice little time saver.

chase standifer
01-22-2016, 8:01 PM
Got me all excited...but local only, damn

Rick Contonio
01-22-2016, 8:28 PM
Woodworker's show is going on this weekend in Springfield MA. They have a similar sized set of Bessey K body Revo's for $155. Not as good a price but a pretty good deal just as well. Looks like about 2 hours from Bedford. Haven't been to this show before, but a typical show nonetheless. I picked up a few things and had a chance to chat with some folks.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/webapp-shows/new-england

Al Launier
01-23-2016, 10:06 AM
I picked up a set yesterday. As a hobbyist working on usually small projects I can't(?) really justify the purchase. BUT, I can't pass up a good deal either, so...........................

Actually(?) there "might" come a time when I'll use them. Perhaps I may even use them on larger projects, like a piano bench I'm currently working on for my wife for use with her piano keyboard, or other multi-board panels. I currently use cauls, but these seem to be an easier method of clamping.

I was so surprised at how heavy they are, almost got a hernia picking up the carton containing the whole set. They do seem to be very rugged. I do like the numbered scale on the bars & the deep throated jaws.

Cary Falk
01-26-2016, 12:23 PM
I just opened my sets. Advertised as 2-24", 2-40", Jet blocks and 4 bench dogs. What I got was 2-24", 2-31", rockler blocks and no bench dogs. Everything reboxed for Rockler. Still a good deal but anybody else get the same thing?

cary

Dave Zellers
01-26-2016, 1:19 PM
I just opened my sets. Advertised as 2-24", 2-40", Jet blocks and 4 bench dogs. What I got was 2-24", 2-31", rockler blocks and no bench dogs. Everything reboxed for Rockler. Still a good deal but anybody else get the same thing?

cary
I would be PO'd beyond belief unless somewhere in the ad it stated this.

Rockler would experience my full wrath. Even if they offer to take them back at their expense (I expect they would), this is a clear bait and switch and a waste of the customer's precious time.

eugene thomas
01-26-2016, 1:27 PM
Maybe save the full wrath till ya give rockler a chance to make wright it so chose.......

Dave Zellers
01-26-2016, 2:21 PM
Maybe save the full wrath till ya give rockler a chance to make wright it so chose.......
I always begin that way. But given that this item was packaged for Rockler, they knew exactly what they were selling. Their best excuse will be that the advertising dept used Jet's picture and copy. Which would be a very lame excuse.

It's still a major screw up and Rockler needs to step up and make it right for customers like Cary which should be giving them exactly what they ordered and a gift card as an apology.

Hey, I'm worked up over this and I'm not even part of it! :)

Probably because I've spent mucho bucks at Rockler and hate to see this. But of course they deserve a chance to 'splain themselves.

Cary Falk
01-26-2016, 2:58 PM
Well I talked o the assistant manager at the local Rockler and he said that there never was any 40" and that they were suppose to be the 31". I can bring them back if I don't want them even though I already cut up the boxes.

Cary Falk
01-26-2016, 3:09 PM
Online chat with customer service
"12‎:‎02‎:‎45‎ ‎PM Gina: I do apologize but the offer was wrong on the email. You did receive the correct items."

Dave Zellers
01-26-2016, 3:10 PM
The picture in the OP shows the 40" clamps, the Jet blocks and the bench dogs.

Dave Zellers
01-26-2016, 3:13 PM
Online chat with customer service
"12‎:‎02‎:‎45‎ ‎PM Gina: I do apologize but the offer was wrong on the email. You did receive the correct items."
Time for a firm letter to the President of Rockler that includes the phrase "Bait and switch".

Cary Falk
01-26-2016, 3:27 PM
Time for a firm letter to the President of Rockler that includes the phrase "Bait and switch".

I'm not sure it warrants all that. I'm sure there is some fine print somewhere that says they are not responsible for their mistakes. There always is. After all they offered to take them back if I wasn't satisfied. :rolleyes: