PDA

View Full Version : Wood type for a workbench/assembly table

Joe Cowan
01-22-2016, 9:27 AM
I was lucky many years ago to horse trade for a big pile of Brazilian Cherry. Some of it has mild to moderate surface checking and I was thinking of using that up in making a assembly table for the outfeed side of my table saw. Most workbenches etc I have seen (including mine) have been of a lighter color wood such as maple. Is there any huge advantage to having a workbench made out of lighter wood?

Chris Hachet
01-22-2016, 9:54 AM
Some people say that parts are easier to find, but my outfeed table is black/has a black melamine top. I have zero trouble finding anything or seeing to work. use what you have on hand...unless it is Balsa or Ebony, it should be fine.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-22-2016, 1:13 PM
Darker will absorb more light. How bad are the checks? As long as stuff will not fall into cracks and such..... and it is structurally sound, I would just do it. If you find out later that it is too dark, you could <gasp> paint it white, or, apply a white surface onto the top and bottom of the table..... Hmmm, but that would change the height. Well, assuming that you can after the fact adjust the height so that it is still not too tall.

Erik Christensen
01-22-2016, 1:19 PM
i have never seen anything that says wood bench color was important - there was a guy (with some bucks no doubt) who built his entirely out of purpleheart :)

hard (durable) and cheap seems to be the biggest factor - you got free hardwood so you are golden - if the surface checking is not structural it is not important - if you need a smooth surface you can always fill (epoxy) or cover it (laminate)

Steve Kinnaird
01-22-2016, 1:40 PM
I am just starting to build my work benches for my shop.
I am using 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and then topped off with 3/16" Hardboard which is dark brown.
The hardboard will give me an extremely smooth surface and I don;t anticipate any problems see anything.

Would love to see your table when it is done.