PDA

View Full Version : A better assembly table/ workbench

dennis thompson
01-22-2016, 6:40 AM
My assembly table has always been a 2'x4' plywood on two foldable horses. A friend gave me a router table top of approximately the same size (2'x4') with very short legs (11") on it. I had no place to put it so I temporarily put it on top of my assembly table. I then found out how much better it was working on a higher table, no more back ache. So I built a foldable table to put on top of my assembly table. I now use it all the time. Besides a more comfortable working height, since it is buit on foldable legs about 11" high, I have room below the top to put all the tools I'm working with & they no longer clutter up the worktable. When I'm done I fold up the top table to about 14" high,put it away and then put away the assembly table & I have my garage back ( which I'm probably going to need as I plan to put at least one car in it as we get ready for a snow storm here in NJ.:))

Prashun Patel
01-22-2016, 8:22 AM
I know! Isn't it the best working at a higher height? I discovered this only last year. For a real treat, try attaching a vise to it. If you do any chisel or hand sawing of tenons or dovetails, this is a real treat.

glenn bradley
01-22-2016, 8:28 AM
Good tip Dennis. I actually made my latest bench a bit lower to make some operations more comfortable and add this for operations that ease my back when done in a higher position; routing, detail handwork and so forth.

329946 . 329947 . 329948

Tom Deutsch
01-22-2016, 11:28 AM
The other day, I was puzzling through how I was going to lift up this old set of kitchen cabinets I use as a workspace. Your post reminds me that I don't have to lift it - I can just add a layer on top! d'uh! :p
It's great to have a couple different heights to work from - totally agree.