PDA

View Full Version : downloading movies and music?

Brian Ashton
01-22-2016, 3:55 AM
Where do you go to find movies and music. Not interested in Itunes or a subscription service such as netflix.

Chuck Wintle
01-22-2016, 5:29 AM
Where do you go to find movies and music. Not interested in Itunes or a subscription service such as netflix.

Does Amazon have a downloading service available?

Erik Loza
01-22-2016, 8:07 AM
Does Amazon have a downloading service available?

Yes, I believe so. My wife uses Amazon more than I do but I need some movies for a long plane flight and she is going to get me set up to download some to my ipad.

Brian, do you have an issue with iTunes? I use it for both movies and music and actually like it a lot. Otherwise, I guess you could torrent stuff. Which is illegal, though.

Erik

Larry Browning
01-22-2016, 1:32 PM
Amazon is my go to place for buying digital music. I prefer it to others (especially itunes) because it all seems to be DRM free so I can put it on any device I own without worrying if it will play or not. (not so with itunes) Movies may be a harder nut to crack. I have dabbled, with only a small amount of success, in ripping DVD's and Blurays. Most are copy protected and require special decryption software. This always made me uncomfortable about doing it, plus, there are so many other variables involved that I just think it is just too much of a hassle. I don't think Amazon sells digital version of movies. Maybe someone else will have better knowledge of digital movies.

One thing about movies that is different than music is that music seems to be something that you would listen to over and over on a regular basis. While movies tend to be watch it once or twice and then your done. Maybe a really good movie you might watch again every few years or maybe once a year, like Christmas Vacation or A Wonderful life. But for the most part, movies are watch it once and never again. So, owning a movie to where it is easily and quickly available has less appeal than music does.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-22-2016, 1:41 PM
I don't think Amazon sells digital version of movies

Yes, I can buy them through the Amazon app on my TV. I've never bought one, though. Can't see spending $15 to download a movie when I can stream it for $5-$6.

Prashun Patel
01-22-2016, 1:52 PM
There are two ways:

Subscribe to a service. All of them cost. If you are already a Prime customer, then Amzn Prime is about the free-est you'll get.

You can use torrents and search engines to pirate movies, but that's exactly what it is. Caveat Emptor.

You can also 'rip' songs from dvds or Youtube but again, that's what it is.

The other legal way to get free music is Pandora. Think of this service as personalized radio. Ultimately, you can't choose the exact songs, but the service learns your likes based on thumbs up and down and creates a radio station with artists you like an similar ones you may not know about. It's a wonderful way to 'discover' new music that's up one's alley.

80's alternative rules.

Larry Browning
01-22-2016, 1:53 PM
Yes, I can buy them through the Amazon app on my TV. I've never bought one, though. Can't see spending $15 to download a movie when I can stream it for $5-$6.

Is that an unrestricted copy? Can you put it on any device and just play it?

Keith Outten
01-22-2016, 2:17 PM
For movies I use Amazon Prime. Their app allows me to either stream the video to my device or to download the file. Since we use Apple TV we can stream the download to any television or just watch it on an iPad. I download movies when bad weather is on the horizon, like today, so I can watch a movie even if the poser goes out. For those who travel frequently the download option is handy.

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2016, 3:46 PM
if you use a website like this..primewire(dot)ag Make sure you have adblocker installed and working..
If use use an android OS, then search facebook for the 1ch app (1channel) and install the latest version..
(But you didn't hear t from me) :D

Scott Pierce
01-22-2016, 4:01 PM
I'll second the vote for Pandora for music. I'm not sure how they stay in business, but they're great, especially around Christmas for Christmas music. You can start listening after Thanksgiving, or like in our household, after Halloween, or maybe even after the 4th of July! Pandora (and texting) is the main thing I do with my Republic smartphone, which is kind of a shame, considering how powerful it is (read this review for Republic Wireless (http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/my-republic-wireless-review.htm) if you need a new smartphone). Like my brain, I probably use less than 10% of my smartphones capacity! :)
As for movies, we only watch them on Friday nights usually, and just pop over to a nearby Redbox to grab a DVD. Only $1.50, instead of paying a monthly subscription fee for steaming (though Prime is tempting). We also get DVDs from our local library, which has a surprisingly large collection.

Larry Browning
01-22-2016, 4:53 PM
For movies I use Amazon Prime. Their app allows me to either stream the video to my device or to download the file. Since we use Apple TV we can stream the download to any television or just watch it on an iPad. I download movies when bad weather is on the horizon, like today, so I can watch a movie even if the poser goes out. For those who travel frequently the download option is handy.

Hmmm, I did not know you could download prime videos from Amazon! The web site said you can download them to Fire Tablets and Android Tablets as well. We have both of those, I may have to try that. Windows PC is noticeably missing though. It did say they were sometimes limited by provider contracts. Does that mean that not all prime videos are downloadable?
Does Netflix offer the same thing?

William Morgan
01-22-2016, 5:06 PM
Hmmm, I did not know you could download prime videos from Amazon! The web site said you can download them to Fire Tablets and Android Tablets as well. We have both of those, I may have to try that. Windows PC is noticeably missing though. It did say they were sometimes limited by provider contracts. Does that mean that not all prime videos are downloadable?
Does Netflix offer the same thing?

Download the Amazon movie app and it will allow you to save the movies.

Chris Padilla
01-22-2016, 6:01 PM
Amazon Prime is great for the free 2-day delivery but I've come to be disappointed in their FREE movie selections. In fact, most everything I want to see seems to have a charge associated with it. Our family practically LIVES on Netflix streaming...almost to the point where I should just get rid of paying for any movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I have not delved into Hulu or anything else I see on my box when we fire up our Netflix subscription.

Larry Browning
01-22-2016, 6:07 PM
Amazon Prime is great for the free 2-day delivery but I've come to be disappointed in their FREE movie selections. In fact, most everything I want to see seems to have a charge associated with it. Our family practically LIVES on Netflix streaming...almost to the point where I should just get rid of paying for any movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). I have not delved into Hulu or anything else I see on my box when we fire up our Netflix subscription.
Chris, I tend to agree that Netflix is better, BUT, Amazon Prime does have some really good stuff that Netflix does not, like "The Man in the High Castle" and "The White Queen" not to mention some HBO titles. And since I have an Amazon Prime account anyway.... I wouldn't give up Netflix for it though.

Chris Padilla
01-22-2016, 6:48 PM
I had hoped that someone would comment on my disappointment with Amazon Prime. I'll check those out, Larry...thank you.

A little while ago there was a thread about a build tour for a Steinway piano. I learned that there was a video that showed from start to finish in building one of those fine pianos and that Amazon Prime had it. I went to look for it and they wanted a stinkin' $2.99 to view it! That really chapped my hide. My renewal fee recently showed on my CC ($107.99) so that prompted me to go dig into it again and I came away sour...again....

When I had HBO, I was able to stream 'Game of Thrones' so that was cool but that went away when I changed some stuff with U-Verse so I haven't kept up with that very popular show.

Matt Day
01-22-2016, 8:19 PM
What airline are you flying? When I flew southwest a few weeks ago they had free streaming tv, with a charge for full blown internet access. Might be worth the cost to just stream in the air.