PDA

View Full Version : Power surges, VFD's and blizzards

Roger Chandler
01-21-2016, 6:53 AM
Well, as I write this this morning, our area is looking at a blizzard in the face over the next 3 Days. Winds to 40 mph as well, and they are predicting power outages. I have I unplugged my G0766 just in case the power surges. The electric for our subdivision runs underground and that helps some, but a lot of the grid in the larger area is on poles. The transformer for the immediate vicinity s located just a few steps from my shop building at the corner of our property.

I am not taking any chances with frying the VFD because of power surges! I would encourage all lathe users to unplug your VFD equipped lathe when not using, just as an extra measure of insurance to protect it.

Looks like for us, it will be digging out this weekend......25+ inches expected through Saturday. :eek: Hope you can get in some turning time.....not happening here in the Shenndoah Valley! Stay safe everyone!

John Keeton
01-21-2016, 8:32 AM
Good plan, Roger. Best bet is to always unplug the lathe when not in use regardless of the weather. Brown downs in the high peak seasons, winter and summer, can be rough on them.

Hope they are over over estimating this storm.

Roger Chandler
01-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Good plan, Roger. Best bet is to always unplug the lathe when not in use regardless of the weather. Brown downs in the high peak seasons, winter and summer, can be rough on them.

Hope they are over over estimating this storm.
I have a feeling John, we will get at least two feet. When these storms develop from the south and pull in moisture off the Atlantic ocean, then the low pressure which spins counter clockwise, seems to pull all that up against the mountains here, and dump a lot of snow.

Our biggest snow producers come about like this. If the track were to go a bit north of where they are predicting now, then perhaps we might just get 15" or so, but as of right now, we are slated to get as much as anyone in the east out of this system.

That storm and the recent bitter cold has kept me out of my small uninsulated shop for the last while....I am sorta gettin' a bit antsy to get out there & make some shavings. I have been cutting down some white pines here in the last week. We took 3 large ones down and have 13 more to go......at least the ones between us and the neighbor next door are taken down, and gone.......now I have two I can take down safely but 11 more are going to need an arborist because of the shop building and fences, etc.........not cheap!!! :eek:

Kyle Iwamoto
01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Blizzard, is that the drink from Dairy Queen? Personally, I wouldn't eat or drink near my lathe..... :D
We're getting 40 knot gusts as well.

I always unplug my lathe too. You never know when the transformer up the street will blow up. The one next to my house went down once. Never can tell.

Or turn off the feeder breaker. It just takes a second to prevent potential damage.

Brice Rogers
01-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Good advice Roger on unplugging the lathe.

Heavy snow fall can bring some disruptions and problems. But look on the bright side - - it is pretty to look at and might bring down some fresh turning wood. :)

Roger Chandler
01-21-2016, 1:27 PM
The latest bulletin from the NWS is for 30 inches for our area.......Geez! :eek: