PDA

View Full Version : One of these days, I'll learn to....

steven c newman
01-21-2016, 1:47 AM
Install lids perfectly....Something seems to happen when I do hinges....
At least THIS time around, they are not binding up, or "hinge-bound". Will need to find a latch or two..

Making a start at rounding up a few Stanley Tools to place in it..
Quite a few of these were used to build this "thing" :eek:

Jim Koepke
01-21-2016, 1:55 AM
It looks like an all American tool box.

You may be making your hinge mortises too deep.

I like the balance of the pins and tails. I like mine to look equal on some things. I usually go for a wider base on the tails.

jtk

steven c newman
01-21-2016, 1:57 AM
Patterned after a Stanley No.888. Have enough trouble making lids, let alone adding a rebate around three sides. Might add a dust sealer on the ends...

Chris Hachet
01-21-2016, 8:28 AM
Seems like it came along nicely....

Pat Barry
01-21-2016, 8:41 AM
Nice work steven, but you surprised me with the lids! I pictured that the tall center divider would have a hand hold cut into it at some point. Are you putting handles on it?

Pat Barry
01-21-2016, 8:44 AM
You may be making your hinge mortises too deep.jtk
I didn't see Jim's comment earlier (perhaps I should read everything before posting) but something doesn't look quite right about the hinges positioning. It seems to me that for your lids the hinges are backward (the barrel is in the open space and should be mortised into the lid). Of course, this is just the first time today that I might be wrong about something.

Reinis Kanders
01-21-2016, 11:17 AM
I just googled this toolbox and it looks interesting. I have an order from my kid for a treasure box so I might make one in this pattern.
How do those lids latch in the Stanley box?

Patterned after a Stanley No.888. Have enough trouble making lids, let alone adding a rebate around three sides. Might add a dust sealer on the ends...

James Pallas
01-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Good job Steven. I'm impressed with your output. Many useful things made.
Jim

steven c newman
01-21-2016, 2:44 PM
Handle is in place..
Like the one Stanley used, a Black metal one...Yep, this end has a crack in it....gives it character???
Used the Goodell-Pratt to do the pilot holes, even...

I MAY go back, and add the hinges to the outside of the lids, maybe.....

Chris Hachet
01-21-2016, 3:56 PM
Handle is in place..
Like the one Stanley used, a Black metal one...Yep, this end has a crack in it....gives it character???
Used the Goodell-Pratt to do the pilot holes, even...

I MAY go back, and add the hinges to the outside of the lids, maybe.....

I like the finished product....would think it would look best with a painted finish, but you might disagree. I think black would be fantastic.

Jim Koepke
01-21-2016, 5:14 PM
perhaps I should read everything before posting

That would drain the fun out of life on the internet.

jtk

steven c newman
01-21-2016, 8:40 PM
One: I do not paint things from the shop....soooo, how about a coat of Witch's Brew, instead...
Ends have 1" wide Walnut strips, nailed and glued, as dust seals. each end has a latch....

Just a simple Tool Box......

Stew Denton
01-22-2016, 5:15 PM
Hi Steven,

I like the finish, it helps bring out the dovetails, but is it varnish or shellac, or something else? Like you I don't paint practically anything that comes out of the shop, with a very few exceptions.

One exception to my "no paint" view is as follows: It's a fairly warm day here, at least quite a bit warmer than it has been, so I am going outside to work on a plane restoration. That will be one exception to the "no paint" rule for me. When I clean off the bed of one of the planes I am planning to paint the bed.

I had a post about a year ago on paint or Japanning the bed of restored planes, and was leaning hard toward Japanning, but finally decided to go with enamel paint. I have a number of them restored to good "user" states, but have not restored the beds on any of the ones I use. The time is at hand, though, to work on the beds.

At any rate, good on you for foregoing the paint. You aren't alone in that view.

Stew

steven c newman
01-23-2016, 12:10 AM
There is varnish in the "blend", there are a few different "flavours" of stain in there, and some BLO.

Only one WOOD project has ever been painted by me. I made a custom wooden screen door for the back door of the house. 2 coats KILZ primer.

Planes and other metal objects do get a coat of paint, mainlt to slow down rustiness. Black paint for plane bodies is usually by Rustoleum.....or Dupli-colour Ford Engine Black.

As for how Stanley lathced their lids.....brass hooks, that hooked over a screw.

steven c newman
01-24-2016, 9:39 PM
Next item on the "list".....finding out HOW Stanley stowed these boxes full of tools. Heard a rumour of a sliding tray??? Tool hangers? I have about half the tools a No.888 held....and they held a BUNCH! Need to find a "layout" diagram to see just how to fill this simple tool box up.....

Jim Koepke
01-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Next item on the "list".....finding out HOW Stanley stowed these boxes full of tools. Heard a rumour of a sliding tray??? Tool hangers? I have about half the tools a No.888 held....and they held a BUNCH! Need to find a "layout" diagram to see just how to fill this simple tool box up.....

From all the pictures I have seen, it looks like Stanley also had trouble getting all them tools in the box.

One ad says there is a sliding till for the smaller tools.

jtk

steven c newman
02-17-2016, 2:45 PM
Just an up-date of sorts, Tool Box is filling up. Decided to add a handle on the ends
Seems I needed a way to hang a few tools on the inside..
These two, and a couple screwdrivers, so far..
Bottom is still a bit crowded..
At least on this side, the other side?
That is a #3 plane sticking up there. There is also a #220 beside it. there is a oil stone back there, too. Just might have enough room for the No. 645 brace. There are a few bits already in the box.
I think I might even have a place to set the box at.....