PDA

View Full Version : For those who own a Makita 9820-2 wet sharpener-

Dave Zellers
01-20-2016, 9:14 PM
I've owned one for maybe 20 years and wouldn't want to be without it but about 2 years ago I also bought a 120 grit wheel and a 6000 grit wheel.

My question is what do you use to dress the 120 grit wheel? Mine has developed a glaze on it and as a result it does not cut as cleanly or quickly. I've tried sandpaper, a brass wire brush and even a 1/2" diameter grinder dressing stick (which gave the best result, but I'm worried about changing the flatness.) It's possible this developed because I'm not using enough water as it is extremely porous. I'm working on coming up with a system to dispense more water when I use this wheel. Should I buy a 120 grit flat stone to dress the wheel?

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. When it was new, I could cut a dull 15" planer blade down to a fresh edge in minutes. Now, not so much.

edit: remove "sanding" from the title. Brain fart.

Reinis Kanders
01-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Flat diamond stone should do it. XCoarse dmt honeycomb type can be had for about $30. Check for flatness before you use it.
could also first glue a sandpaper to something flat.

Dave Zellers
01-21-2016, 12:30 AM
could also first glue a sandpaper to something flat.
Not so sure about that. I put a WorkSharp disk with 120 on it and the Makita just ground off the grit down to the paper without even thinking about it. But yeah it may have improved things.

I was just stunned when I picked up the disk and the paper was completely smooth.

Reinis Kanders
01-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Then diamonds are the way to go.
I use this for some oilstones:
http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W6FP-Diamond-Whetstone-Sharpener/dp/B00004WFU7/

Not so sure about that. I put a WorkSharp disk with 120 on it and the Makita just ground off the grit down to the paper without even thinking about it. But yeah it may have improved things.

I was just stunned when I picked up the disk and the paper was completely smooth.

Matt Day
01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
When I got mine used, I used one of these to take the sheen off and roughly flatten it.
http://www.amazon.com/Commando-Grinding-Dresser-Diamond-Deburring/dp/B002KNOK9W

Using it will flatten it out too.

roger wiegand
01-21-2016, 11:28 AM
I've used a Nagura on it and it seemed to work to remove glaze. Probably a diamond flattening stone or glass and loose carbide powder would be better.

Dave Zellers
01-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like a diamond plate is the way to go for me.

It sure was easy to get spoiled when the wheel was new.