PDA

View Full Version : Kreg screws

Jesse Busenitz
01-20-2016, 8:41 PM
I needed some more kreg screws the other day so I hopped on Amazon and was looking at the various options. I came across the combo thread screws and they happened to be cheaper than the regular fine thread I normally buy(I normally buy the 1000 boxes do they make bigger?). Anyway I have NOT been impressed I have had several heads twist off and also several pieces split on me...:mad: So I went and found some of the fine thread and my problems disappeared. I'm not sure what is that different but it was very frustrating there for a bit. Anybody else have this trouble?

Bruce Wrenn
01-20-2016, 8:45 PM
Contact Kreg and tell them your experience. I never known Kreg to do anything less than first class.

Jesse Busenitz
01-20-2016, 8:49 PM
Did a little more looking and found a box of 5000.

Wade Lippman
01-20-2016, 10:37 PM
What were you using them for? Unless they were horribly defective, they would strip the wood out long before the head broke off. (I've done that a few times...)

I used to work CS for a hardware company and got at least 6 complaints a week about brass screw heads breaking off. When I first started I thought we had a terrible problem and got dozens of samples out of every box of that size in the factory. I found they performed much better than could be expected; I could always get them most of the way into oak with no pilot hole or lube. (The complainer always assured me he drilled a pilot hole and lubed the screw that broke) They were great screws. After doing that 10 times on a variety of different sizes, I didn't bother. Out of perhaps 1,000 screws, I never found a single defect.
Bear in mind that we sold maybe 20,000,000 brass screws a year.

Hilton Ralphs
01-21-2016, 5:24 AM
I needed some more kreg screws the other day so I hopped on Amazon and was looking at the various options. I came across the combo thread screws and they happened to be cheaper than the regular fine thread I normally buy(I normally buy the 1000 boxes do they make bigger?). Anyway I have NOT been impressed I have had several heads twist off and also several pieces split on me...:mad: So I went and found some of the fine thread and my problems disappeared. I'm not sure what is that different but it was very frustrating there for a bit. Anybody else have this trouble?

Kreg doesn't make any combo thread screws so I can only assume you bought some generic pocket hole version. I may be horribly wrong of course.

Brian Tymchak
01-21-2016, 8:29 AM
Kreg doesn't make any combo thread screws so I can only assume you bought some generic pocket hole version. I may be horribly wrong of course.

Don't think you're wrong. I'd never heard of a combo-thread so I did some googling. They only advertise a coarse and fine thread on their website (https://www.kregtool.com/store/c20/kreg-jigreg-screws/#tab1705).

glenn bradley
01-21-2016, 8:34 AM

+1 on this. Kreg has no combination thread screws in their catalog. Maybe the OP is using the term "Kreg" to refer to washer head screws in general?

Andrew Pitonyak
01-21-2016, 9:01 AM
They were selling combination threads at the Woodcraft in Columbus Ohio and they were recommended to me so that I only required one screw type. I don't even remember if I bought them or not (I have a bunch of screws). Now I need to go and check. Although I have used a bunch of the screws that I purchased with no problems, it has been a while since I have not needed them for my most recent projects.

Jon Endres
01-21-2016, 3:34 PM
I buy pocket hole screws only from McFeeley's. I have some fine thread ones for hardwoods but mostly I use their Super-8 screws. Combo screws are a poor compromise for any use.

glenn bradley
01-21-2016, 4:22 PM
I buy pocket hole screws only from McFeeley's. I have some fine thread ones for hardwoods but mostly I use their Super-8 screws. Combo screws are a poor compromise for any use.

I have to disagree. Combo (or HI-LO) threads are used in marine applications (in stainless). All the ones I have (dry lube pan head) are from McFeely's and I find them superior for composites. However, McFeely's no longer offers them. Their selection has narrowed quite a bit since a few years ago when they were my go-to guys. So often now they no longer carry some of the things I am looking for ;-(

Jim Dwight
01-21-2016, 5:47 PM
I rarely buy the name brand anything and my pocket hole jig is not a Kreg but I like Kreg screws. I've bought some from McFeeley's and I like their products but for pocket screws I think Kreg is the way to go. It helps that I bought a few big boxes from Sears when they were clearing them out, however.

Peter Quinn
01-21-2016, 5:57 PM
Hi-lo's are supposed to be good for particle board, maybe better holding in MDF? For most wood working, I can't see the point. Get the proper thread maximized to your work, stay away from particle board and hi-lo thread screws, life will proceed happier.

Jesse Busenitz
01-21-2016, 6:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-SML-HL125-1000-4-Inch-Pocket-1000-Pack/dp/B0002QZ4ZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453419171&sr=1-1&keywords=Kreg+SML-HL125 These are what I'm having trouble with.... Do you guys use an impact or a drill with a specific slip setting? I'm wondering if I'm overdriving them way too much which would definitely cause it to split, but as stated earlier I've not had problems with it. Today I looked at the two style of screws and there's not that much difference to the eye...

Larry Frank
01-21-2016, 7:38 PM
I do not use an impact driver as it lacks control for me.

A drill with a good clutch setting. I under drive them and carefully snug them up especially on thinner stock.

Michael W. Clark
01-21-2016, 9:08 PM
I have had problems with the Hi Lo screws splitting hardwood. I use the on softwood and plywood with no issues. I use the fine thread on hardwood and usually wax them too when driving.

I use a small compact drill with clutch setting to prevent stripping.

Mike Heidrick
01-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Just to confirm Kreg did make the sml-hl125 and i have purchased them in the past in 5000 counts and most recently from an ebAy guy selling 5 1000 ct boxes. I drive them with a bosch 10.2v driver and use the clutch when joining plywood.

Ed Edwards
01-21-2016, 11:12 PM
kreg screws from McFelly's

http://www.mcfeelys.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/1200x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/8/0812-KWC_3_1.jpg (http://www.mcfeelys.com/8-x-1-1-4-kreg-pocket-hole-screws-clear-zinc-plated-steel-round-washer-head-square-drive-qty-100-3tvt1.html)
8 X 1-1/4 KREG POCKET HOLESCREWS, CLEAR ZINC PLATED STEEL, ROUND WASHER HEAD, SQUARE DRIVE - QTY:100 - 3TVT1 (http://www.mcfeelys.com/8-x-1-1-4-kreg-pocket-hole-screws-clear-zinc-plated-steel-round-washer-head-square-drive-qty-100-3tvt1.html)SKU: 0812-KWC-C$4.70

Hilton Ralphs
01-22-2016, 12:36 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-SML-HL125-1000-4-Inch-Pocket-1000-Pack/dp/B0002QZ4ZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453419171&sr=1-1&keywords=Kreg+SML-HL125 These are what I'm having trouble with.... Do you guys use an impact or a drill with a specific slip setting? I'm wondering if I'm overdriving them way too much which would definitely cause it to split

Looks like Kreg stopped offering them after 2013 (for a reason) so it's a shocker that they are still available on Amazon without some sort of 'retired product' warning.

Nevertheless, you have them now. As others have mentioned, try driving them with a drill with an appropriately set clutch but also make sure you are using the correct length of screw.