PDA

View Full Version : DJ-20 set screw issue

Bob Cooper
01-20-2016, 6:42 PM
The top right set screw on my DJ-20 I think will strip out (the head not the threads) if I try and remove it. It's not rusted that I can tell and the one like it on the top left of the fence is fine. This is the set screw that I would loosen in order to true up the fense to 90.

Any my suggestions on how to proceed? My initial thoughts are to put some penetrating oil in there for a day or so and then buy an impact hammer and hex Allen head bit that will work.

Ronald Blue
01-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Do you have an impact driver? It's normally a 3/8" drive to adapt sockets, screw driver bits, allen sockets etc. You strike it with a hammer and it twists as it drives downward. This is likely your best bet to get it with out resorting to drilling it. Get a good quality allen socket if you are going to try this.The shock of the impact as it twists just might break it loose. Set screws can be ornery to drill to say the least. They are moderately hard and can eat drill bits, especially cheap ones. I am sure others will weigh in as well. If you resort to drilling start with the drill that just fits in the hole and step upward one size at a time. If you drill through the tip of the screw the pressure will be released and you should be able to turn it out then with pliers or vise grips. Good luck.

Bob Cooper
01-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Can anyone verify this set screw's size?

glenn bradley
01-22-2016, 8:40 AM
Can anyone verify this set screw's size?

I cannot but, I will offer something. If this is a stop-screw and it is not preventing you from getting to 90* I would ignore it. I have never found relying on stop screws to be accurate enough. I back them off. JMHO.

Bob Grier
01-22-2016, 8:42 AM
Mine are 4mm hex on the positive stop indent ring and 6mm on the mount bar that connects to the fence. Machine is Invicta manufactured in Brazil. I don't think this matters though.

Sure am glad I checked because I have been having trouble maintaining fence square to table. Each time I move the fence I had to adjust it for squareness. I used the indent stop ring to make the adjustment. What I discovered just now is that when I tried the 6mm hex wrench in the fence attachment bolt, the bolt was loose. Maybe I have discovered the source of my problem.

The above sizes are not the screw like you asked but they are the wrench size for the hex screws. If you have to destroy the screw to get it out, I can pull my screw and see if I can figure out the size and thread.

Lee Schierer
01-22-2016, 9:46 AM
Carefully clean out the exposed threads and apply a small amount of oil, being careful not to gen any into the socket where the allen wrench will go. Use a new Allen wrench that is nice and square on the end to remove the set screw. A worn wrench will be more likely to strip out than a new one. Then carefully back the screw all the way out. Once it is out find a good quality replacement such as Holo-Krome to replace it with.

Ronald Blue
01-22-2016, 10:46 PM
amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1453520466&sr=1-1&keywords=impact+driver

Myles Standridge SR
01-26-2016, 5:17 PM
I can't say for sure about that particular screw but the set screws on the parallelogram adjustment is a 4mm allen screw. And if you ever attempt to adjust the tables the set screws are doubled up, two set screws stacked on top of each other. It drove me nuts for a long time until I got the info. from another forum.

Bob Cooper
01-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Impact driver and new bits are on order. Hopefully I can use that to get it loose